Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smtp / google apps

Hi there

Has anyone got a workaround for using google apps (for business) as the smtp server for their actinic installations - I have 2 clients that use this (actually excellent) platform, from google - but googles smtp settings need an encrypted ssl connection and connection to port 465 to work - I can't find any way of setting the ssl part in actinic (but I believe you can fudge the port in the actinic.pm file ?????).

I am after something quick & dirty to get me around the issues for these 2 clients, but would also be grateful if this could be added to the development wish list too (if not already).

Thanks

Hi,

I'm afraid that I can't give you a solution to this issue but in response to 'I can't find any way of setting the ssl part in actinic', you need to go to the 'Settings | Business Settings | Payment & Security tab' and tick the 'SSL' box at the bottom. If you choose 'Checkout Page and Customer Login Only' you will see an extra 'SSL' tab in the Network Settings screen or only an SSL tab if you choose 'Whole Site'.

I cannot guarantee that the smtp server from Google will work in our software as we usually recommend that you use the smtp server from your hosting company due to most hosts banning spam from sites that it doesn't recognise.
    Tracey
    SellerDeck

Comment

tracey, thank for the reply, but the ssl screen you refer to is for the site level ssl and not connecting to an smtp server via ssl - this is totally seperate from the site ssl.

is any one else has any ideas they would be much appreciated

thanks

Comment

Hi,

I know this thread was couple of years ago - but I'm now encountering the same problem - exactly - and was wondering if you ever came up with a fix before I post the question again?
        Dorian
        ------
        www.itmustbegreen.co.uk
        Fair-Trade & Eco-Friendly

Comment

The smtp connection is defined in the perl scripts and can probably be altered to use SSL by someone who knows what they're doing (or even someone who half knows what they're doing with a bit of time).

You'll probably need the to have the Net::SMTP::SSL module installed on your server for this to work. There's plenty of info on this around the web.

Mike
          -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks Mike - I'll give this a go.
            Dorian
            ------
            www.itmustbegreen.co.uk
            Fair-Trade & Eco-Friendly

Comment

Working...