Forgot password

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgot password

What happens if a returning customer has forgotten their password? Do they just create a new account?

Bob

They ask you to reset it and send them a new one.

Comment

I have an fix in the works that will allow you to use AJAX to recover a forgotten Password on the login page. Currently working for v9 sites only, I will be adapting it to also handle v8 sites (or producing a version specific application).

I'll be shipping a .NET desktop application to encode and send up the info required, a javascript file to handle the decoding and display, and an amended Login Layout. You will have to add a reference to the javascript file into the header of the OuterLayout you use for the Login Page (I made a new "Works best with...")
      Bill
      www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
      Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
      BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
      Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
      VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
      Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

So presumably the default action that Actinic takes with a forgotten password is that customers have to set up a new account?

The reasoning must be that it doesn't hurt to enter a name and address for a second time and maybe that will teach people to remember their passwords!

Bob

Comment

Actinic doesn't take any action, you take the action, you reset the password and then you send it to them.

Comment

I might be mistaken (not for the first time) but I think we may be talking about different passwords.

What I'm referring to is the login password for a customer returning to an Actinic shopping cart site. If someone buys a book from my store and then comes back next week to buy another one what happens if they can't remember their password to log in to their account? Is the only solution available to them to create a new account and enter their address details again?

Bob

Comment

A well designed site would ask 'forgot your password?' and they'd then contact you and you'd then contact them back. But if it is instant fix they require then yes you are correct unless you man things through rush hours or provide live help.

Comment

Hello Bob.

If someone buys a book from your website a week ago, then actinic does not automatically remember them.

During the order process there is no option for the user to set up an account. This has to be done manually by yourself - pain in the backside.

Comment

Originally posted by Cammy
                  Hello Bob.

If someone buys a book from your website a week ago, then actinic does not automatically remember them.
                  Actually it does if you have set a long enough cookie life and they have not cleaned out their cookies. Test it yourself. Buy something from your own site. Close the browser, then reopen and go back to your shop within your current setting for cookie expiry. Buy something else. You'll find your location remembered among other things.
                  During the order process there is no option for the user to set up an account. This has to be done manually by yourself - pain in the backside.
                  This is correct. You have to provide a way for the customer to indicate s/he wants an account, then you create it offline. Usually just a button click during order processing. And send them the details - again, usually just a button click in the account setup dialogue.
                  Bill

Comment

ActPass is now released on the Egyptian Wonders site in my sig.

See the Actinic Related Software section.
                    Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X