Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem previewing pages with a .php suffux

Designer version:

This is an issue I have reported on v8 and which is still with us with this release.

The problem happens when you name your pages with a .php suffix instead of .html.

If you click on a new section or product when in the content tab the page preview displays the error message "This program cannot display the webpage".

The page can only be viewed by then clicking on the design tab.

This also happens when you are in the design tab. You have to click on the content tab to view the page.

This is a real pain !!!!!
    Regards
    David

Hmmm - I'm having a little difficulty recreating this problem.

I've renamed my Books and Clothing sections to books.php and clothing.php and I seem to be able to preview them fine in both the 'Content' tab and 'Design' tab.

Could you let me know what operating system and what version of Internet Explorer you have on your machine.

Comment

Hi Chris - whilst in the content tab preview one of your pages then whilst still in the content tab view the next page. Do not change to the design tab.
      Regards
      David

Comment

No - still not getting it. I'm using Internet Explorer 7.5730.11 - what version are you using?

And what theme are you using (or what theme was your design based on)? Also, what filenames are you using for your pages? I'll try the same ones.

Comment

Hi Chris - when using v8 on my win2000 machine I am using IE6 6.0.2800.1106. When using v8 or v9 on my winxp machine I am using IE7 7.0.5730.11 - both give the same problem.

I believe the theme was based on the Clean CSS Theme.

This happens on 2 of my sites but not on the other 4 or 5 that I have. The only difference that I am aware of with these 2 sites is that they use .php file suffixes.

I have tried renaming the filenames back to .html and the problem still exists so it may be something deeper than that.

Is it worth providing you with a snapshot of the site?
          Regards
          David

Comment

I have tried renaming the filenames back to .html and the problem still exists so it may be something deeper than that.
            Does it happen in v8 as well? If so, it'll be worth getting in touch with standard Actinic Support as they will be able to respond a bit quicker. If it's just in v9, contact v9.beta@actinic.co.uk and you'll get details of an FTP server for the snapshot (from me).

Comment

Hi Chris - I have opened a new query 00138429 with the support team.

On checking my notes I realised why I posted it here. I opened a support query for this back in May 2007 - support query: 104586 and never received a solution.

The last reply I got was
              It is because the extension is .php, as if you rename the page extension to .html the page is rendered correctly. I assume it is something to do with the IE7 plug in used for rendering the html.

I will contact the development staff and see if there is anything that can be done from our end.
              I was hoping that this would be fixed in v9 as it had not been fixed in v8.
              Regards
              David

Comment

Nor in version 10
                Regards
                David

Comment

So if I understand this correctly, the plug-in will display pages with a .php suffix but only if you force it to by switching between the content and display tabs (and vice versa).

If so it would seem that Actinic ought to be able to understand the different states that switching between tabs causes and come up with a solution.

Mike
                  -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

...and only if you are position on a section in the content tree. If you are positioned on a product if fails to render also.
                    Regards
                    David

Comment

Working...
                    X