Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Test Emails from Actinic Catalog

Hi All,

For several weeks now, I have been receiving 2 or 3 test emails a day from one of my sites- the e-mail that says "this is a test email from Actinic catalog". I have four sites using the same host, e-mail settings, etc, and I am not receiving the test e-mails from the other three, just this one.

When this started to happen, I changed my passwords on the site and did a complete site refresh in case of a corrupted file, but the emails continue.
    The site is www.fairygoodies.co.uk and my sites are currently hosted with Names.co.uk. As there doesn't seem to be any threat to the site or interference with the business, I don't think it's urgent, but obviously something is wrong which I'd like to clear up prior to my V9 upgrade.

I'd appreciate any pointers, as I'm not hugely technical! Thanks in advance,
    Ben
    Ben
    http://www.fairygoodies.co.uk

I don't know what this problem is, but something is very wrong somewhere. The size of your error.err file is the largest I've seen. it's full of errors like this:

Program = SHOPCART, Program version = 18118 , HTTP Server = Zeus/4.3 , Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2008/04/05 06:53, Internal Errors = There is no valid input parameters for the script! Check the referencing HTML code!
    which occurred 97 times at 06:53 this morning alone.

and this:

Program = MailForm, Program version = 18651 , HTTP Server = Zeus/4.3 , Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2008/04/03 19:10, Internal Errors = There is no valid input parameters for the script! Check the referencing HTML code!
    Which occurred 24 times at 19:10 on April 3rd.

Maybe someone else will know what's going on. (although there are some previous threads on these errors so you should have a read through them and see if any apply to you).

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Uh-oh... that doesn't sound good. Thanks Mike, I'll wait to hear what others have to say before jumping in and changing anything.
      Ben
      Ben

Comment

"this is a test email from Actinic catalog".
        That email usually gets sent when you click the 'test' button in the network setup screen. It's odd that you are getting them so often if you are not clicking that button. Does anyone else have your network settings (maybe you gave them to support for testing (although I'd be surprised that they are being tested that often))?
        Tracey
        SellerDeck

Comment

Hi Tracey,
          Nobody has my settings or passwords- when this first happened I thought perhaps it was an attempt to hack the site, but now I think it's a corrupted file somewhere. As Mike says, the error log is huge (not helped by the fact that I've never deleted it in 4 years!) but there are obviously problems I need to address. The site continues to function fine and I've upgraded it to a V9 site today, but obviously it would be good to clear down the errors.
          I'm not a coding wizz, so any help would be much appreciated!
          Ben
          Ben

Comment

Hi Ben,

I've found a problem on your 'add to cart confirmation page', whereby if you add a product to cart and then try to checkout from the confirmation page it says that the basket is empty. This could be what is putting some of those errors into the error log. Can you try reverting your 'Checkout Now Button' layout and 'Order Details Bulk Area' back to factory settings and then update your site. If that doesn't solve that issue then can you also try a 'purge and refresh' (Help | Troubleshooting) and tick all the boxes (note that any amended scripts will have to be re-applied after the refresh has finished and then uploaded again).

I'll check with development to see if they have any ideas about the multiple test email issue.
            Tracey
            SellerDeck

Comment

Hi Tracey,
              I've tried to revert the "checkout now" button but am getting an error saying that Actinic can't revert it as there is already another file with the same name. I've reverted the "order details bulk area" ok but note there are actually two in the file- one just headed "order details bulk area" and the other "order details bulk area v8_5_2_0" which I'm guessing comes from the old site before I upgraded earlier today. This site was built in V7 then upgraded to V8, now to V9, if this helps.
              Thanks for your help so far
              Ben
              Ben

Comment

hi, we upgraded from v7 to v9, still testing v9 on test server.
                We to have had several test emails sent randomly over the last ten days.
                We only tested the server settings once and all was ok, just a case of switch to test mode from live mode.

We did send a site snapshot to support so they are the only others who have our settings.
                Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

I've tried to revert the "checkout now" button but am getting an error saying that Actinic can't revert it as there is already another file with the same name.
                  That's odd. OK, can you try going to the 'Design' tab and select 'Add to cart confirmation' from the 'Select Page Type' drop-down. Then click on the 'Checkout' button in the preview pane to bring up the layout code window. Replace the code you have with:

Code:
                  <input type="image" name="ACTION_BUYNOW" src="button_checkoutnow_button.gif" alt="<Actinic:Variable Name="CheckoutButton"/>" />
                  I've reverted the "order details bulk area" ok but note there are actually two in the file- one just headed "order details bulk area" and the other "order details bulk area v8_5_2_0" which I'm guessing comes from the old site before I upgraded earlier today.
                  To check which one your site is using so you know which one to revert after applying the above change, click on the 'navigate to parent' icon (arrow pointing upwards) on the layout code window. This should take you to one of the above layouts and it will tell you in the layout code title bar which one is being used.
                  Tracey
                  SellerDeck

Comment

Hi Tracey-
                    Sorry for the delay replying- had to dash to the post office!

I've changed the checkout code ok- as for the "order details bulk area" it appears to be the new one which I've reverted to factory settings also.

Early tomorrow morning I'll purge & refresh the whole site- don't want to do it tonight as it's a good time for orders!

Thanks for your help so far.
                    Ben
                    Ben

Comment

With regards to the 'test emails' being sent, can you check on your server to see if 'ts00000x.pl' exists (where 'x' is your cgi script ID number). This should be removed from the server once the test has completed but it sounds like it hasn't been for some reason. You can manually delete it from the cgi-bin.
                      Tracey
                      SellerDeck

Comment

Having checked the server, there's no file with the same number (36). However, I have a file named ts0000040.pl which contains references to the test e-mail notice. I have the coding knowledge of a flea, so don't know if this is important.
                        I have done a complete site refresh this morning, and since we changed things last night I've not received any more test e-mails, and checking the error log shows two errors today, as opposed to over 100 yesterday by this time. Perhaps something is working!
                        Ben

Comment

Hi Ben,

That sounds better. Your checkout button on the confirmation page is working now. Can I suggest that you delete your current error log as it is over 25 MB in size (Help | Troubleshooting | Remove Error Log).

Having checked the server, there's no file with the same number (36). However, I have a file named ts0000040.pl
                          If you have another website that uses the same cgi-bin then it will be using a different script ID number which is why you may have one ending in 40. You should be safe to delete this too.
                          Tracey
                          SellerDeck

Comment

Thanks for your help Tracey, I really appreciate it.
                            All the best,
                            Ben
                            Ben

Comment

I'm still receiving these random, unprompted 'this is a test email' emails from one site.
                              I haven't done a network test (or anything else) to generate one for months yet I probably receive these emails about once a week-ish.

I ftp-ed into my cgi-bin, when I last noticed this thread, and deleted a ts00000x.pl file, as suggested earlier in the thread.
                              However, I've received another test email today and I haven't done a test. Nor is there a ts....pl file present.
                              Any ideas what could be generating these?
                              I've checked the source of the emails and they are definitely coming from my domain/host...I just can't figure out why
                              Tracey

Comment

Working...
                              X