X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

frustrated with layout issues after import form client

Hi,

Bit of a hard one to explain.... my head hurts

I launched a site for a client successfully. the client then went away and updated the site.

I built 2 new large sections on our version of the site.

I have gone to combine the two together. After failed hierchical imports i went into the database and got it all working by copying in the new product sections.

The problem i have now is that the new products that the client added are not displaying the correct templates... and the preview button under extended info is missing. IS this a bug? why is this happening?

There are currently around 190 products with the issue. I have looked in the databse and cant see any difference between products with broklen layouts and products that display correctly.

i have started manually re-creating the faulty product pages but this is going to take some time.

Any ideas on how i can get the templates to display properly on the products that the client added and why they dont display correctly when i upload them from designer. They worked fine from the clients upload...

Heres a link which i forgot to provide.

Product working fine, which client hasnt editied: http://www.gardenfurniturecentre.co....nic-table.html

Product with template error which client has added: http://www.gardenfurniturecentre.co....nic_table.html

Cheers,

Ben.

Comment

You've probably damaged the database. Best restore and try again.

Here's how I'd do this.

Licence new temp site. Import Snapshot with your updated site containing those new sections into it.

Go to main site and restore to working customer version.

Back to new temp site. Select all sections you want, right-click and copy to clipboard.

Back to customer site. Click the section tree, right-click and paste the new sections in.

You may need to copy images and any other related files over first.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel

Licence new temp site. Import Snapshot with your updated site containing those new sections into it.

But if you dont have another license, how does one go about doing this,

Comment

Jagdish,

You would use an Hierarchical export / import. However that failed for this threads originator so I was providing another route.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi Norman,

Thanks very much for your advice!

I cant quite believe how simple the solution was. I didnt think it would be possible to copy and paste between sites as you have to close them to switch between.

There was some data that didnt copy accross properly. The section names and pages titles were missing for some products/sections? I had to fix this manually but not too much of a problem.

Im just doing an upload at the moment and will then check for broken links but it seems to have fixed it

What would you advise is the best way to do future updates for our client.

I think the safest way is to take the snapshot off them complete the work and then hand it back to them. The only problem with this approach is that the client updates the site on a daily basis.

Oncew again thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
            X