YAGAT - Yet another google analytics thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YAGAT - Yet another google analytics thread

Upgrading a v8 site, i put our analytics number into the 'nic, and it gives me the thumbs up.

but wait!

the template library does not contain any analytics items so, i get an error about its variable not existing. Has actinic failed to upgrade the templates properly?

has anyone else had this issue?

which upgrade option did you choose, Gabe?
    Just out of interest coz you know I'll have no idea what caused the problem LOL
    Tracey

Comment

Hi Gabe

Are you sure there isn't a group of layouts in your library called 'Google Analytics Markup'. It always gets added when you upgrade to v9.

Comment

i'm VERY sure there isnt.

Comment

Hmm - are you also missing the 'Start Here Panel Pages' in the library as well? If so, it means your db has not been upgraded correctly, and I'll check it out. But if you are just missing the Google Analytics fields, I can send you a mini design snapshot just with those layouts.

Comment

Gabe, we tried for 4 days to implement the Actinic code and eventually gave up. Rob has re-written our V8 scripts to work in V9 as well and we have now got our data back. You can have a look at our Google Analytics/E-Commerce code.

As usual, if you use it a link would be appreciated!
            John Sollars
            MD at Stinkyink.Com
            Ph 01746 781020
            Fx 01746 781698
            Em John (at) Stinkyink dot Com

Comment

This is a magnificent way to add this tracking. I like the way its implimented.

heroic work.

Comment

Ta, all credit to young Rob
                John Sollars
                MD at Stinkyink.Com
                Ph 01746 781020
                Fx 01746 781698
                Em John (at) Stinkyink dot Com

Comment

Originally posted by cdicken
                  I can send you a mini design snapshot just with those layouts.
                  yes, if you could then that'd be great, also, information on where the variables go in the templates would be nice.

gabriel@interact-studio.co.uk plz.

Comment

Gabe - if you have Actinic Designer, you could just license a default Actinic set and do a 'Export Specific Design Elements' to get the 'Google Analytics Markup' layouts copied over to your live site.

You then need to revert the following layouts back to factory settings:

Shopping Cart Product Details > Cart Product Details
                    Shopping Cart Grid > Checkout Shopping Cart Grid
                    Shopping Cart Grid > View Cart Page Shopping Cart Grid
                    Shopping Cart Table Row > Product Line Row
                    Web Page Outer Layout > Receipt Page Layout

to get all the ecommerce tracking working, and then need to add the following tag into the bottm of your outer layouts (just above the </body>) tag...

<actinic:variable name="GoogleAnalyticsMarkup" value="Google Analytics Tracking Code" />

Comment

thats absolutely true. what on earth am i on about.

Comment

Dont know Gabe but you loose me most of the time anyway

Comment

Dear John at Stickyink

Many thanks for the link to your code, can I be cheeky and ask a question.

When you have said that the two Javascripts should go into your sites folder, do you mean the same folder that ActinicCatalog is in, or the main folder that encompasses all sites licenced.

I'm only asking because if I cut and paste the script

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="jquery.js"></script>
                          <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="roi.js"></script></body>

into the receipt page, I get an error unless I Put the Javascripts into the main Sites folder (not the ActinicCatalog one)

I could get the error to dissapear if I changed the path as follows:

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="sites/jquery.js"></script>
                          <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="sites/roi.js"></script></body>

Obviously that's not going to work when the site is uploaded, because sites/ does not exist as a folder.

Anyway, I am not getting any ecommerce data, so I'd be really grateful if this might be the reason ? Or should the script be, before the </head> and not before the </body>

I now have the funnel working to measure the steps taken to convert, but haven't mastered the ecommerce data.

I really don't know that much about where Javascripts should be placed, so I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
                          Okay, I pulled the pin. Now what?... Wait!...Where are you going?

Comment

The JavaScript files should go into the current site folder. Which is 'Site1' on a standard install or wherever the actiniccore.js file is located.
                            Rob Williams
                            Ink Cartridges
                            Stinky Ink - Blog

Comment

Hi Rob

Many thanks for that, that is what I thought

What would the folder tree be in the javascript then, because Actinic doesn't seem to like the way I have entered it, should I just ignore the error?

If I put the JS scripts into my Site1 folder and the extensions as follows:

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="jquery.js"></script>
                              <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="roi.js"></script>

I get a syntax error, the only way the error is removed is if I either put the JS Scripts in the next level up (sites folder) which is the wrong place, or add sites/ to the script.
                              Okay, I pulled the pin. Now what?... Wait!...Where are you going?

Comment

Working...
                              X