No announcement yet.

Meta tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My god I thought this bug was dead and burried. It's been arround since v8 was released on and off so I don't see why it's not going to fixed now.

Although we all know meta tags are a waste of time it's nice to have a website that works.

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb View Post
      Although we all know meta tags are a waste of time it's nice to have a website that works.
      I thought the Meta Description was used by Google - or have they changed algorithms again?
      The Pretty Dress Company

Comment

Hi there

I'll look in to this and try and get it included in 9.0.3

Further to Nadeem's solution, if you just replace the whole of the layout 'Standard Meta Tags' with the following code, it all works fine...
        Code:
           <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
           <meta http-equiv="MSThemeCompatible" content="yes" />
        <actinic:block if="%28%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22Section%22%20AND%20%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22Brochure%22%29%20OR%20%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22IsStoreFrontPage%22%20%2f%3e" >
           <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22GlbMetaKeywords%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22%22" >
        	<meta name="keywords" content="<actinic:variable name="GlbMetaKeywords" />" />
           </actinic:block>
           <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22GlbMetaDescription%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22%22" >
        	<meta name="description" content="<actinic:variable name="GlbMetaDescription" />" />
        <actinic:block if="%28%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22Section%22%20OR%20%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22Brochure%22%29%20AND%20%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22IsStoreFrontPage%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20FALSE" >
        	<actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22MetaKeywords%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22%22" >
        	<meta name="keywords" content="<actinic:variable name="MetaKeywords" />" />
        	<actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22MetaDescription%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22%22" >
        	<meta name="description" content="<actinic:variable name="MetaDescription" />" />

Comment

Please do Chris, if not, you are in grave danger of overshadowing what should be a great release, with silly little annoying problems. This would be on a par with the Firefox security issue that was decided to let roll IMO.

I think I speak for most people when I say that we are not interested in bells and whistles if fundamentals are not right. If it's as easy as you suggest, there can't be much stopping you add it. Please, please, please get the head area and the good changes you have made in that area working correctly before you release.

Comment

Chris, Are you sure that code is correct?

It seems to be saying:

If (brochure page & site frontpage):
            If (Global meta keywords) then Include Global Meta keywords
            If (Global meta Description) then Include Global Meta description
            endif

If (Brochure page and not frontpage)
            If (meta keywords) then Include Meta keywords
            If (meta description) then Include Meta description
            endif
            What happens of you don't want global meta tags on the frontpage (or indeed do want them in the brochure pages) ?

Edit: OK. Maybe brochure pages don't have subsections (or can they now). What about the non global meta tags on the front page?

Or am I misunderstanding the global meta tags? I thought they were the ones that include all the meta content from underlying sections.

Mike
            -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Hi

For the record, implimenting the code supplied by Chris does seems to work perfectly, with the meta tags and descriptions showing on all pages now.

Regards

Nigel
              Offering a wide range of shade loving plants suitable for the woodland garden. http://www.plantsforshade.co.uk

Comment

Mike - what it's saying is...
                If (it's any page OTHER than a brochure page or a section page OR it's the site frontpage):

If (Global meta keywords) then Include Global Meta keywords

If (Global meta Description) then Include Global Meta description

endif

If (it's a brochure page or a section page AND it's not the store frontpage)

If (meta keywords) then Include Meta keywords

If (meta description) then Include Meta description

endif

Comment

Meta Tags not working

I am also having problems with the meta description and meta key words not being inherited from the global meta tags or normal tags.

I have set INCLUDE PARENT META CONTENT IN EACH SECTION to TRUE.

I have replaced the code in the Layout code to what Chris has posted.

However it still is not working.

I have posted the site on the following:-
                  http://www.playhousesonline.co.uk/acatalog/index.html
                  http://www.playhousesonline.co.uk/ac...Christmas.html
                  (ignore the colours at the moment)

Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards,
                  Robin
                  Attached Files
                  Robin Antill - Fan of Actinic.https://community.sellerdeck.com/cor...lies/smile.gif My Site 1st Choice Leisure Buildings

Comment

Hi Robin,

The code that Chris pasted works fine for me but let me clear something up:

'INCLUDE PARENT META CONTENT IN EACH SECTION to TRUE'
                    This should really read 'Include Parent Meta Keywords in Each Section' as it does not include 'meta description' from parent sections (I've raised this with development). Also, the global keywords (the ones entered into the 'Online Catalogue' details) will not appear in the sections - only those from the top level sections downwards. If you want the global ones to appear on sections then replace:

Code:
                    <meta name="keywords" content="<actinic:variable name="MetaKeywords" />" />
                    with:

Code:
                    <meta name="keywords" content="<actinic:variable name="GlbMetaKeywords" />, <actinic:variable name="MetaKeywords" />" />
                    Tracey
                    SellerDeck

Comment

Hi Tracey,
                      Thanks for your reply, appreciated as always.
                      I will give that a try and see how I get on.
                      Regards,
                      Robin
                      Robin Antill - Fan of Actinic.https://community.sellerdeck.com/cor...lies/smile.gif My Site 1st Choice Leisure Buildings

Comment

Before I try to implement this change does anyone know if it was inlcuded in 9.0.3 ? Cheers D
                        Donna

Chief bunting supplier to Take That!

Comment

After reading this thread (I have not had the problem) I can only say "I don't believe it!", how can something so elementary get missed out.
                          However as Google is attching less importance to meta-tags, and more to relevant page content, HTML tags, relevant page names, relevant links to and from sites etc. This may not be of such importance in the future....
                          But that's not to try and make the persistance of such a bug seem irrelevant, it's not when we pay good money for e-commerce software that is billed as SEO friendly.
                          Steve Griggs.

"People in business often miss opportunities, mainly because they usually arrive dressed in overalls and looking like work."

www.kitchenwareonline.com
                          www.microwave-repair.co.uk

Comment

I don't know if it applies to v9 but see this thread I started for v8.5.1

http://community.actinic.com/showthr...718#post247718

It may help?
                            Regards,

Keith

Central Heating Supplies | Life Insurance Quotes | Be Modern Orlando Electric Fires | Grant Boilers | Honeywell Heating Controls | Worcester Bosch Oil Boilers | Oil Boilers

Comment

Working...
                            X