Search on Section rather than Product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search on Section rather than Product

Instead of the site Search feature operating on Products, we'd like it to search Section Names.

Customers will want to search by motorcycle name eg; Honda or SR 50 Ditech, Atlantic 125/250/500 etc (please see the attached image)

The reason the Product Short Descriptions don't include the bike model name is tied in to the fact the whole site is imported via a Flat File (for ease of maintenance) and there are hundreds of duplicates. We don't want the additional work of making each Duplicate a unique product....

Is there a hack / piece of beautifully crafted software to help us achieve this?

Site: www.givi-motorcycle-luggage.co.uk
    Just gone up so I hope no bugs

TIA
    Attached Files
    Kind Regards
    Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Originally posted by Sean Williams View Post
    Instead of the site Search feature operating on Products, we'd like it to search Section Names.
    Try adjusting the search settings in "Settings | Search Settings" under the "Search Options / Indexing Options"

You'll find checkboxes for what you want to include in the index that gets searched. Simply make sure that all products are deselected and only sections are selected.

Obviously test this thoroughly once changed and uploaded to make sure you get the desired results. It's always easy to change back
    Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
    Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
    SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Thanks very much Fergus - you've helped me out yet again

I know I'm not alone in this, but why can't I see solutions when they are staring me in the face?! Drives me nuts what with the wasted time, the humiliation of being shown a solution a half-witted ameoba could see etc.
      Oh. Sorry - no offence intended Fergus

What Actinic needs is a 'Clear Your Mind' function - perhaps a squirly-whirly kaleidoscope page to stare at for five mins while Chris Dicken is chanting something esoteric in the background.
      Gabriel - this should be up your street

Attached is pic of Search Settings to help those who come by at a later date.
      Attached Files
      Kind Regards
      Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

a solution a half-witted ameoba could see etc.
        Some of my best friends are half-witted amoebas

What Actinic needs is a 'Clear Your Mind' function
        At teclan we developed our very own version of this. It's quite effective as well. It usually starts with someone stating "Milk and two sugars......."
        Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
        Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
        SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Originally posted by fergusw View Post
          Some of my best friends are half-witted amoebas
          Our local council is full of them

Originally posted by fergusw View Post
          At teclan we developed our very own version of this. It's quite effective as well. It usually starts with someone stating "Milk and two sugars......."
          I usually go for Retsina.
          I wonder if this is where I've been going wrong?
          Kind Regards
          Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Working...
          X