Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proportional image scaling

Hi All,

Within the Mini Best Sellers & Mini New Products, I am trying to proportionally scale the product thumbnails without success. The default setting is width="75" which doesn't seem to scale the thumbnails proportionally. As all of my product images have differing height to width ratios, the thumbnail quality is poor with this setting. I would be very grateful for any advice as to rectifying this. Many thanks.

If you only have the width specified, it will be proportional, if you'd like it confirmed, open up the main product image and size down to the 75 width to see. Browser resizing is pants though, do your own thumbnails so you can control and see how things look then. The aspect ratio on an image only changes if you have height specified also.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
      If you only have the width specified, it will be proportional, if you'd like it confirmed, open up the main product image and size down to the 75 width to see. Browser resizing is pants though, do your own thumbnails so you can control and see how things look then. The aspect ratio on an image only changes if you have height specified also.
      Thanks Leehack. I thought that was the case, but not completely certain. The browsers scaling is pants, as you mentioned. When scaling the image in Fireworks, it looks fine. Not to worry, only 4,000 image thumbnails to create!

Comment

There is a thread about using PHP to rescale the image to give a better resolution than simply resizing... this works on the fly from your main product image.

Bikster
        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by jont View Post
          There is a thread about using PHP to rescale the image to give a better resolution than simply resizing... this works on the fly from your main product image.
          Thanks Jont. I'll take a look at that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post
            Thanks Leehack. I thought that was the case, but not completely certain. The browsers scaling is pants, as you mentioned. When scaling the image in Fireworks, it looks fine. Not to worry, only 4,000 image thumbnails to create!
            Learn actions and batch processing, will make it a very quick job then. Plus you can then use them in the search results and a really nice touch is in products added to the cart too (only works with some product ranges).

Comment

Learn actions and batch processing,
              Fireworks does this very well. I've always found Photshop pants at this as i can never get it to learn properly -or maybe its me who can't learn

Comment

Never tried it in fireworks, always been ok in PS though, having different folders used to be my sticking point. Having said that if just a few hundred or so i just sit there with RSI and run my own actions manually.

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook View Post
                  I've always found Photshop pants at this as i can never get it to learn properly -or maybe its me who can't learn
                  Took me a while but finally persevered as not the most obvious thing to set up. The droplet facility to drag and drop files over a desktop icon is great.

Bikster
                  SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

There's an article on the advanced guide re automatically creating thumbnails that demonstrates how to use Actinic's built-in PHP to do this.

If you use this within the Best Seller and New Products layouts then it will only scale the relevant images.
                    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

oooh try it in ie8 works really well NOT

Comment

lol Darren
                        it is kinda messed up!
                        Tracey

Comment

Working...
                        X