Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Analytics ...nice face shame about the legs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Analytics ...nice face shame about the legs!

I have used GA for 4 weeks and while the dashboard is useful (very nice) the impact of google integrated in our site lead to page load times upto 44 seconds, compared to without GA of 8 seconds.

Has anyone else had such a big speed differential?
    kamal@eurowirecontainers.com

http://www.eurowirecontainers.com

no..................
    Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
    Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

it isworth noting i took GA off a site as it made the site pause when transfering to the checkout. i decided the pause would put people off buying which wasmore important than the GA data

Comment

sounds odd to me. I've never had ga slowing a site down before. I'm assuming that you are using the unbuilt ga funcion in v9 so try removing the ga variable and adding the tracking code by hand and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

V9 if I remember correctly uses some java script to call an external file which may cause some delay but not the ammount you describe. I don't use the inbuilt ga as I always add the code direct. As for checkout I tend not to add ga as its such an important part of the site that any extra stuff in there can cause problems.

Comment

I used the marketing GA part of the software, its just that yesterday when on the phone to actinic support the technician mentioned it was slow and i had suspected this as our page reads had dropped off over the period in question.

Interent shoppers are impatient plus waiting for a page to "transfer data" also looks a little phishy even if its google ( I use firefox )

Comment

Google seem to have been having a few issues recently with Analytics. I've moved it off one of my clients sites (not Actinic site), temporarily as it was deffinately causing a performance hit. The site in question gets around 10,000 unique hits a day so it was having a big impact on the web server. I'm going to re-introduce it next week to see if it is better.

That said - I've not noticed any issues on any other of my sites with GA

Kevin
              KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

Comment

your site looks pretty sick to me. I could not get it to load at all.

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb View Post
                  your site looks pretty sick to me. I could not get it to load at all.
                  Which site you reffering to Malcolm? Mine, or the OP?

Cheers Kevin
                  KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

Comment

I'm just updating mine, one of the links wasnt quite right ie "home".

Comment

Your home page has over 2Mb of javascript to load.

It took an age for me before the page loaded.
                      have a look.

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/s...ontainers.com/

Once the javascript and other files are cached performance is reasonable.
                      Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
                      Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
                      SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Don't use javascript to create menus your act_section_tree_urls.js alone is 1.28mb.

A larger issue
                        ---
                        Search engines are going to have a right game trying to find any content if you dynamically generate links to each section.

Hard code all the links using relevant anchor text to the main sections of your site!
                        Rob Williams
                        Ink Cartridges
                        Stinky Ink - Blog

Comment

Thanks for the information, I'm hoping to have a wishlist sent to the programmer with the changes we have 7,200 products with a duplicate and the site has become heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamal View Post
                            I have used GA for 4 weeks and while the dashboard is useful (very nice) the impact of google integrated in our site lead to page load times upto 44 seconds, compared to without GA of 8 seconds.

Has anyone else had such a big speed differential?
                            First time I visited the page it took 44 seconds to load, after that its around 3 seconds, so your measurement with GA may have been simply the page cache being refreshed. Typically I am measuring around .5 of a second for GA on another web site, (using the new ga.js code) times are measured using firebug via the Net tab.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
                            SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
                            Custom Packages

Comment

Nearly there!

Just an update we have uploaded the new version based on 8.5.3.

After nearly 5 months of not moving forward we have been able to rebuild the site, many problems including V9 Database issues, slowness of everything from generating the pages,snapshot,upload we have learnt a lot.

we have 7200 products plus duplicates now producing a 160mb Snapshot which in 8.5.3 takes about an hour which is considered "blazing fast" by our IT Team.
                              Full upload takes around 4-5 hours.It used to take 12-18 hours. Small changes now take 10mins.
                              We can check the html pages in a few minutes approx 9000 pages - at one point it took over 8 hours.

I'm hoping to get GA re-implemented when we move back to the new V9.3.

A lot of the issues stem from upgrading the site through versions esp as ours was based on V7 which the site was originally built on, then modified in V8 and broken by V9. Lee our designer/coder cleaned up the code and implementing the newer navigation and the sites now up.

We have had norlist adapted by norman - to produce an amazing speed increase in terms of page generation.

We will take small steps in our continuing journey. Many Thanks for all the contributors to our "recovery"

Comment

Working...
                              X