beginner's total mess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beginner's total mess

First experimental step, tried entering a new product. Couldn't see "apply changes" anywhere, product didn't seem to have appeared on the content tree ... early in the morning, one thing and another, it all became a blur.

Now I have simply an empty window, no trees of any kind, and if I try and close the program, or get out by reimporting the original snapshot, or even make a cup of tea, I get the message "Please enter a short description for this product".

Sounds like you have not completed the product creation process, yet the window in which you should be doing this (the bottom one) has disappeared somehow. Or maybe you have unhinged it. You need to use the 'restore option' in the window menu to get them all back to as they were. You may be forced to close the program manually yourself before you can do this. Can you provide a screenshot of what you have in front of you?

Comment

I suggest you read the getting started guide. Also little confused as you are posting in v8 forum when you may be using v9 if it is you first try?

Comment

Products require a reference number (if not auto generated) and a short description as a minimum.... tabbing through these or hitting enter after the short description will apply.... there is also an apply button at the bottom of the product entry form.

As Lee says reset the view to default and add the product name to finish the product entry.

Bikster
        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Thank you. Three things I have learnt before breakfast:

1. If you leave a product entry uncompleted you can't just back out (I'm used to applications where, if you start to screw up, you can close without saving).

2. An entry will be deemed incomplete without a reference number and short description.

3. "Restore initial view" will bring back the product entry window so you can complete the entry before running for cover.

I take the advice to read Getting Started in the spirit in which I'm sure it was intended. Even with software very much less complex than this, no manual, especially a brief one, can stop you doing something stupid. (A couple of decades of living with Sibelius night and day and I'm still discovering things about it.) So yes, I've read the manuals, and I shall nevertheless still be making infantile mistakes a long time hence, and I shall be back, asking for more help.

My general position is that I've had an Actinic-approved designer create a design for me and now I'm trying to figure out how to do my part, assuming I can't keep falling back on the designer every time I get stuck. Just two days in, and inclined to panic!

I very much appreciate the help I'm getting here.

Comment

Originally posted by john harding View Post
            1. If you leave a product entry uncompleted you can't just back out (I'm used to applications where, if you start to screw up, you can close without saving).
            You can with this software also, you just click on cancel, but if you close or move the window you don't get to see the option.

Comment

agreed no manual can cover everything but basic product entry is covered very well and there is also a tutorial built in as well. I would have thought that your designer would have given you at least a basic level of support rather than here is a template and your on your own

Comment

My general position is that I've had an Actinic-approved designer create a design for me and now I'm trying to figure out how to do my part, assuming I can't keep falling back on the designer every time I get stuck. Just two days in, and inclined to panic!
                why don't you save the snapshot your designer gave you somewhere safe. Then go and trash what you have, do some serious learning over the next 2 days.

Then delete and reinstall actinic, import your squeeky clean snapshot and apply your new found knowledge.

Then you don't have to worry about getting things wrong. This is the method that alot of up developers/designers had to adopt when v8 first came out. i don't know how many sites i trashed during this time.

Comment

jos idea is a good one. Forget about your new template and learn to use the software first. Setup your hosting and get the site live so you can check it all works correctly then test your psp and payment systems.

Get some products loaded and when you are happy add the template and continue. In your situation I would suggest that a fancy design is a low priority in the scheme of things.

Comment

Working...
                  X