Low Stock warning message on checkout page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low Stock warning message on checkout page

We'd like to put a notice about low stock on the checkout page, especially if there is only 1 left, we've had circumstances where a telephone order sells it just prior to selling it on the site.

We'd like to have a message that gives a warning that the last item may have already been sold and that a full refund will be given in the unlikely(!) event it should occur.

Can anyone help?

AFAIK the checkout page doesn't have any visibility of the stock levels, so there'd have to be some serious code development to go and look at stock levels before displaying the message.

Could you not just display this beside the product 'buy now' button? That would be much easier to do and you could use the code that's already on the forum for stock level messages.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot View Post
      AFAIK the checkout page doesn't have any visibility of the stock levels, so there'd have to be some serious code development to go and look at stock levels before displaying the message.

Could you not just display this beside the product 'buy now' button? That would be much easier to do and you could use the code that's already on the forum for stock level messages.

Mike
      Thanks Mike, I presumed it would be available to the perl that generates it. I'll probably do a popup div attached to the buy button in those circumstances I think (if the boss will wear it )

Comment

might it be worth just adding a 'low stock' notice for items with a certain stock level? Say, if an item has 2 or 1 (depends how fast it moves) in stock, it displays a message at product level like a 'limited stock' message but with the extra information added too.

Just add the message to your product layout and use a blockif to test for the stocklevel of the product.
        This might be a better solution to putting it in the checkout, if it doesn't apply to all items.
        Tracey

Comment

I assume you also have the refund bit in the T&C as a back up to cover yourself as well as displaying alongside the product.

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Gotta agree here, why wait til the most annoying moment to tell me you might be out of stock of something. Just show your stock level and message on the product layout and keep it simple. T&C's bolstering that message too is good idea, anything else and you are probably looking at an over-engineered or over-thought solution.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts everyone, very much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X