BUG, DMP & Javascript Errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BUG, DMP & Javascript Errors

I have a site in V9.0.2 which has the new Layouts in the head area, it looks as though these get added when you register an external design as i also have 2 x V8 sites with an external design that I upgraded to V9, but these did not use this new compressed method - can anyone confirm that existing layouts are left as they are and only newly registered designs take the new method? If so, why? and if not, why do i see differently formed head areas across different sites?

The new method is a good idea, i like it, shame it doesn't work for me though. When i have the layout 'Javascript Functions' added, Actinic reports coding errors about a missing object, it is of course unclickable to go anywhere so that's the best help you get. This error used to surface when the 2 standard Javascript files were deleted or not referenced properly. I took a punt and copy pasted the contents of this new layout into the head area and deleted the layout selector. Lo and behold the Javascript errors disappeared. Is there a registered problem with this area that's being addressed in 9.0.3?

Site also reports DMP errors on upload at catalog checking stage, still i note the support form does not let you send the files and i am forced to contact you, so you can contact me, so i can contact you back - is this the slickest this process can be made? Time consuming, annoying and painfully slow.

it looks as though these get added when you register an external design
    Yes. Part of the process of registering an external design adds in the necessary elements into the <head> section to make it work with Actinic.
    i also have 2 x V8 sites with an external design that I upgraded to V9, but these did not use this new compressed method - can anyone confirm that existing layouts are left as they are and only newly registered designs take the new method? If so, why? and if not, why do i see differently formed head areas across different sites?
    In Actinic, the external HTML design is the 'master' design, and the layout code held within Actinic is the 'slave' design. When you upgrade, Actinic doesn't make any changes to the external layout, so the code within the <head> section in overall layouts that originally came from external designs in v8 will look identical in v9. In the case of the v8>v9 upgrade, there were no functionality changes in the code in the <head> section, we only tidied it up a little in v9.
    Is there a registered problem with this area that's being addressed in 9.0.3?
    No there isn't. It's all a bit odd as with the method you used to fix the code, the generated HTML will be identical to what it was before. Previewing it in Firefox/Firebug would help show exactly which code is missing. Unfortunately, as the preview in Actinic is built on IE, the Javascript debugging is fairly... basic.

With regards to your crash, there is still no automated way to send in dump files. We're still figuring out the best way to do that which will prevent us being inundated with hundreds dump files where we have no idea of the steps that let up to the dump file being created. In your case, you need to either call support with the number you got with your developers subscription (which usually gets you through to a more experienced support technician) or else register an email support query and they will be in touch asking for your snapshot.

Comment

Originally posted by cdicken View Post
      Yes. Part of the process of registering an external design adds in the necessary elements into the <head> section to make it work with Actinic.
      I understand this part, this was my point, the head area should be almost identical across inbuilt themes and also external designs i'd have thought? (inline styles overriding aside). I also see the head area done differently across themes, it didn't make any sense to me as to why. If we now have a layout selector bringing in all the Javascript (great idea, much tidier) why not in all cases? The head area tidy up (meta one also) is a really good addition making things much slicker and cleaner to read.

Originally posted by cdicken View Post
      In Actinic, the external HTML design is the 'master' design, and the layout code held within Actinic is the 'slave' design. When you upgrade, Actinic doesn't make any changes to the external layout, so the code within the <head> section in overall layouts that originally came from external designs in v8 will look identical in v9. In the case of the v8>v9 upgrade, there were no functionality changes in the code in the <head> section, we only tidied it up a little in v9.
      I must be seeing something radically different, the complete head area has been overhauled in my V9. All Javascript has been moved into a layout as has all META info, privacy policy link has been added and the auto forward on the psp pages has been incorporated also. So rather than seeing lines of code which is the same across all sites as i did on V8, I now just see the selectors - this is so much better, but like i said it didn't work for me and even stranger that a direct copy-paste cured it. Why is my 8.5.2 showing completely different head areas to 9.0.2, yet you say hardly anything has changed - i'm confused.

Thanks for the reply anyway, Gary now has the snapshot. Cheers.

Comment

Hi Chris

Got a 2nd + 3rd site doing the same now also.

I've attached a couple of images to illustrate the point. First one with the coding errors, second one with the contents of the layout copy-pasted and the selector removed showing no errors. This site also fails on upload at the same point (catalog checking stage) as does the other one with support at the moment.

Looks like a bug and a bad one, i haven't been able to upload for a day and a half now with customers waiting, any ideas?
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Lee,

Have you managed to get to the bottom of this yet? I had exactly the same problem today and found that it was something to do with my 'Checkout Text Link' layout which hadn't been upgraded.

Comment

Sorry for delay replying, i missed your post.

I have had a part fix provided, regarding 3 selectors having emptied themselves or somehow having grabbed incorrect layouts for some reason (brochure navbar, online price layouts and stylesheet). There is also an SQL query that has to be run on the database for empty UDP values. Doing these points makes uploading work, so that's a slight bonus, but using basic functionality (lookup in stylesheet for example) still results in instant DMP files and complete crashes.

I emailed that it has not fixed things on Saturday and I am currently awaiting a reply or fix. I will let you know if i hear anything.

Comment

Working...
            X