Confused re: components and choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused re: components and choices

There a few products we sell individually and also by the box (of say 6) as 2 different products. Fine so far but we are adopting Sage 2008 and Actinic Link and have found a problem. We wish to keep stock of the individual items in Sage which would mean creating the box quanitites as BOM products with zero stock. This means a lot of work when a box order comes in as Sage cannot auto transfer stock to BOM's. We don't want to pre-build BOMs as this will not give us a true stock picture.

So, what I want to do is have an option on the main product page to buy the item individually and have the box as an option BUT appear in the cart as 6 of the main product. I don't want to use quantity breaks as they will buy 7 and the whole point of the cheaper bulk price is it's far easier and cheaper for us to whack a label on a pre-boxed product than package individual items ourselves.

So, it's like a related product but that product is actually 6 of the main product.

Alternatively is there a way to create the box as a product code, assign components of 6 of the individual product and then get ONLY the components to appear in the cart?

Confused. I've had a good search around and tried various things but can't find an answer.
    Blank DVD
    Cloth Nappies

Hi,

Alternatively is there a way to create the box as a product code, assign components of 6 of the individual product and then get ONLY the components to appear in the cart?
    As long as your components are all set to 'Component as separate order line', then you can choose the 'Sum of Components Prices' as the pricing model (General tab of product details) and you should get a tick box for 'No Order Line for Main Product'. That will stop the main product from showing in the cart.
    Tracey
    SellerDeck

Comment

Edit: Thanks for your help. Sorted now.
      Blank DVD
      Cloth Nappies

Comment

OK, got all that to work from the main product. Created a duplicate product and uploaded. When you click add to cart on the duplicate, the component products are not added. Is this a known bug or am I doing something wrong? Running 9.0.0 ICLA and not had any problems so far so was waiting for 9.03. Would it be a good idea to go for 9.0.2 now?
        Blank DVD
        Cloth Nappies

Comment

Hi Steve,

It works ok for me in 9.0.2 but should also work in 9.0.1. Did you create your duplicate after you made your changes to the original or was the duplicate already there? It may be worth deleting your duplicate and then re-creating it and uploading to see if that works.
          Tracey
          SellerDeck

Comment

I created it afterwards. I'll have a play later when I have half an hour and try upgrading to 9.0.2
            Blank DVD
            Cloth Nappies

Comment

Deleted duplicate and then uploaded the snapshot onto a new PC running (9.0.2). Still no joy. When I add the main product it shows the components in the cart. When I add the duplicate it doesn't. Any ideas?
              Blank DVD
              Cloth Nappies

Comment

OK, it's something I have removed from the duplicate layout. Set the duplicate to standard using CSS and it works fine. So it's my fualt! Will hide them for now and see what I've borked up tomorrow. Thanks again for your time.
                Blank DVD
                Cloth Nappies

Comment

Steve
                  Check out THIS THREAD (I'm saying that a lot tonight!) and see if you have any variable formatting, in your duplicate layout, that could be causing you the problem (without a link to test, I couldn't say)
                  Tracey

Comment

Ta for that, I'm sure it's something pretty simple. I'll have a look tonight. I made the duplicate from the standard CSS so I've just removed something crucial (as you do).
                    Blank DVD
                    Cloth Nappies

Comment

Sorted now, thanks all. For some reason I had commented out the components in the duplicate layout! No idea why I would ever have done that but there you go. Works like a dream.
                      Blank DVD
                      Cloth Nappies

Comment

Working...
                      X