Related Products to Page, not Product?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Related Products to Page, not Product?

I was wondering if there was anyway of linking a related product to go to a product/category page instead of the specific product. For example I run a guitar website and the idea is to try and sell strings, bags and cables along with the instruments themselves.

I can match them up to specific items in some cases but overall I'd rather just have a related item that goes just to the page with the items on so that they can choose one themselves instead of being led to one.

Is this possible? If it makes sense that is.

Regards,

Leonard

You can do this several ways:

1. hard code the link to the page in the product

2. use a variable with blockif tests to take a hard code link to the page (as above but more flexible)

3. Create a new product using a cut-down layout (no buy button etc just a title and maybe some text similar to a fragment) and place at the top of the page.. call it "Guitar Strings" and point your "also like" list to that product

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

What about using the "Links" Option on the Product Details Page?

You can then direct to a URL, Product or Section...

Army Gore-tex
      Winter Climbing Mitts
      webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
      Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Ahhhh, I'm liking the block if suggestion... might try and use that in conjunction with some kind of script to remove the #xxx off the end of the product links to just hit up the page.

The modding of product layouts is also a good one, neither are 100% perfect but its a great pair of ideas, shall see what I can come up with and post back with what I've done. I'll try and get a link to it in action too once its online.

Cheers Guys.

Comment

Could you not remove the product anchor from your product layouts? Not sure if it would cause any complications elsewhere but it should work.

Perhaps someone else can comment who knows more about what scripts, if any, require the anchor.
          Cheers

David
          Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

If I removed the anchors from the product templates it means my Google products feed my products wouldn't have unique links which I've seen people have trouble with in the past. Google can take a disliking to what it perceives as more then one product per page and cancel your listing, with the anchors on the links though it has no issue.

Comment

Ah fair point, foiled again by the Big G!
              Cheers

David
              Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

Working...
              X