Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newsletter points to perl file

Hi all,

I have a newsletter subscription form courtesy of m2news.com.au which was working fine (in test mode). It showed me a "Thanks for subscribing" page and re-directed me to my site.

In the last week, it has stopped working. On pressing 'submit', I get

"General Script error. Could not locate the product reference. Press the Browser back button and try again or contact the site owner".

I contacted the guys in Oz who said

now, this is an issue with your webhost company, and a setting they have on their server for your account. What we think it is doing is using "mod rewrite" to force any form on your site to only send to another file on your site. Its a bit paranoid, but hopefully your host will turn it off for your account.
    Spoke to Act Support this morning and they said no, they don't do that. However they noticed that on pressing submit, the following path shows in the bottom bar (as near as I could get, as it disappears very fast)
    www.celtic-cross-stitch.com/cgi-bin/ca90001.pl

which apparently means that it is pointing to a pl file.

I've emailed Oz to tell them this but wondered if you guys can shed any light?

I'm wondering why it worked before and now isn't? Any ideas?

Script for newsletter is:

!!<<!--start m2news newsletter subscription form-->
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var id = 946;
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.m2news.com.au/subscribe/form.js">
    </script>
    <!--end m2new newsletter subscription form-->
    >!!

My site is up in Test Mode if taking a look will help. URL is
    http://www.celtic-cross-stitch.com/a...ewsletter.html

thanks!

Mary
    Last edited by MaryCollings; 31-Jul-2008, 09:09 AM. Reason: checking site URL - link works but doesn't say 'Newsletter'. No idea why

You probably have nested form tags, your newsletter form is most likely within a form on the page and on submit therefore uses the actinic file, rather than what you want it to. You could try closing the form just before your form and then reopening it just after or try housing it on a brochure page instead of a product page.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response Lee.

I've currently got it on a fragment. Does that make any difference?

Dumb question coming up - as it's up in Test, can I make any necessary changes and then 'publish to web' or 'refresh'...or do I need to take it out of Test, do the changes in production and then put it back up in Test?

Sorry - still learning...

Comment

It wants to be on a fragment, that's fine, is it a fragment in a section or on a brochure page is the important question. Add the fragment to a brochure page. You can make the changes in test mode and upload, no need to switch anything.

Comment

It is in a fragment in a section.

Thanks for the info re: being able to upload when it's still in Test Mode. That's useful to know. I must confess that I took it down out of Test as I was so embarrassed by my pathetic 'spoonfeeding' question that I thought I should just get on with it...

Have tried adding a Brochure page but the page preview keeps telling me 'page is deleted' and won't show any title or button. I have made six of them and they all say the same...eeeek!

Comment

The script that is being called is the one used on a product layout when you add to cart (i think). As you have your form on a section page, you are almost certainly falling foul of a nested form tag. Heaven knows what you are doing when you are creating a brochure page, i trust you are selecting the page you just created and it doesn't have a red cross on it. If you are struggling in that area, just add a fragment to your home page instead and try it on there.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryCollings View Post

Have tried adding a Brochure page but the page preview keeps telling me 'page is deleted' and won't show any title or button. I have made six of them and they all say the same...eeeek!
              This is something I commented on recently at Actinic and you'll find that, once you add a fragment to the brochure page, that 'page is deleted' (fake) warning will go away.
              Tracey

Comment

Got it!

I did as you suggested and put it onto the Home Page and it works perfectly. Thank you so much Lee, I really appreciate your help and time.

I have no idea what's going on with the brochure pages either but that's another issue for another day.

Right now I'm happy!

Many thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryCollings View Post
                  I did as you suggested and put it onto the Home Page and it works perfectly. Thank you so much Lee, I really appreciate your help and time.
                  Pleasure Mary, glad you are sorted.

Bumpsy's post below explains the brochure page problem you had, so you can move it onto a page of its own which i'd recommend anyway.

Comment

Tracey - many thanks for that! I thought I'd done something dreadful and 'broken' my brochure pages...

I am now spoiled for choice as to where to put my working newsletter.

Fantastic - thanks so much!

Comment

Sorry you two, our posts keep crossing over...

How you guys do this for a living is beyond me. You must have nerves of steel!

Many thanks to both of you - I'm off for a cuppa.

Comment

Working...
                      X