Sorry, another speed issue thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, another speed issue thread

Sorry to add yet another v9 speed issue thread however, most seem to be concerned with upload time rather than the specific hinderances I am encountering.

The good news is that my upload time does not seem to be any different from those with v7 and do not cause any hardship.

The way my site works, I have a lot of daily product movements and alterations. It is this that is taking so much more time in v9.

With v7, I could move all my products about in simple view and change to preview at the end of a batch to scroll through as required. I get the impression that v9 generates the preview although changes are being made in the section details frame.

These are the processes I mainly need to employ in order to operate. I have listed the average egg timer times for v9 and for v7

Hide on website 8 secs (Act7 < 1 sec)
    Delete a product duplicate 8 secs (Act7 < 1 sec)
    Highlight a different product in the list 5 secs (Act7 < 1 sec)
    Accept a new product 45 secs (Act7 8 secs)
    Find a product 5 secs (< 1 sec)
    Cut a product 9 secs (Act7 1.5 sec)
    Paste a product into the same section 15 secs (Act7 2 sec)
    Paste a duplicate 37 secs (Act7 1 sec)
    Apply changes 5 secs (Act7 < 1 sec)
    Switch to page preview 4 secs (Act7 15 secs)

My machine is hardly the fastest on earth (Athalon 1800+ 1.53GHz 480MB Ram running XP Professional) and I do use Zone Alarm Security Suit which is a bit like swiming through treacle sometimes and I am fully prepared to buy a new box if it is going to make the world of difference.

1. Will 9.03 make serious inroads into these times?
    2. If it looks like a new box will be needed, can any tech heads out there please suggest what sort of spec I should be looking at.

I have none of the marketing features enabled.
    I have sent a snapshot as requested in Chris's thread and would be interested to learn how long these processes take on another machine.

My concern is; today I spent 4 hours doing 23 enquiries which would normally take 2 hours on v7. In the spring, I get around 50 enquiries per day and also manage to process a similar quantity of orders that arrive daily at that time. Unless I can get back to the v7 lag times it is not going to work.
    Graham

www.Briggsbits.co.uk
    The online store for Briggs and Stratton spare parts

Originally posted by WILKO92 View Post
    1. Will 9.03 make serious inroads into these times?
    Somehow I doubt it - I think the only cure so far for what you have noticed is by disabling Preview in the 'Window' menu - ever since I did it's been back to the speed of v7 and 8, which has saved a lot of time.
    Originally posted by WILKO92 View Post
    2. If it looks like a new box will be needed, can any tech heads out there please suggest what sort of spec I should be looking at.
    When I actually need to view the preview when making changes I always take a site snapshot, import it into my own desktop pc - using a Core 2 Duo 3.16ghz, 8mb cache, 1333fsb, ddr3 ram (super fast system which I rarely use, once a week max) - then return the next morning with the improved snapshot. Or at least I hope it's improved.

Comment

A new box with a fast dual core processor and at least 2Gb memory would be a big improvement.

Remember also to regularly compact your database.

Comment

Originally posted by grantglendinnin View Post
        disabling Preview
        This is by far the best option for immediate results on slower machines.

Bikster
        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

If you are moving/changing products around, then Compacting the database will make a significant difference.

But, by far the most important advise given here is the disabling of the Preview. This is what I was advised this a month ago & I must say, has helped me immensely and am now waiting on 9.0.3 where I'm hoping things will improve. Had this not worked, I would have dumped Actinic for good by now.

Nilesh

Comment

One thing to remember, V7 & V9 are two completely different packages.

As to improvements in V9.0.3, there will be some but these are more to do with site generation

but actinic recommend this as a min spec
            • Windows XP (service pack 2) or Vista
            • 1GB RAM (2GB for Vista)
            • Minimum 1 GHz processor recommended (2 GHz or faster for sites with over 5000 products)
            • Internet Explorer 6
            • 120MB available hard disk space

Comment

What's it like with ZA turned off?

I've only recently switched from 8 to 9 and can honestly say I have no speed problems - I'm also running it on a virtual machine so would expect to see some performance issues but absolutely none

Comment

Nicola do us a favour and change your avatar reference please, it annoys the hell out of me seeing that little red cross on a web page.

Comment

Lee i dont see a red cross, but i do on someone elses on the forum, cant think whos it was

Comment

I don't see a red cross either..it just says 'Nicola's avatar'
                    could be a FF/IE difference though..can't be bothered to check
                    Tracey

Comment

It is a browser issue, little red cross in IE

Comment

What avatar?

Comment

Originally posted by NicolaUK View Post
                          What avatar?
                          Thank you, .

Comment

Originally posted by NicolaUK View Post
                            What avatar?
                            That made me smile this morning, Thank You

Comment

Thanks,

Cancelling the preview made a considerable difference to some actions but little difference to the lengthy ones.

Compacting the database didn't seem to make a noticable improvement(I have around 2000 different products, most of which are marked hide on site)

Switching off ZA didn't make a difference other than make me work under conditions of paranoia.

The new times following these actions are after the brackets.

Hide on website 8 secs (Act7 < 1 sec)<1 sec
                              Delete a product duplicate 8 secs (Act7 < 1 sec)1 sec
                              Highlight a different product in the list 5 secs (Act7 < 1 sec)<1 sec
                              Accept a new product 45 secs (Act7 8 secs)38 secs
                              Find a product 5 secs (< 1 sec)<1 sec
                              Cut a product 9 secs (Act7 1.5 sec)Same
                              Paste a product into the same section 15 secs (Act7 2 sec)Same
                              Paste a duplicate 37 secs (Act7 1 sec)30 secs
                              Apply changes 5 secs (Act7 < 1 sec)<1 sec>
                              Switch to page preview 4 secs (Act7 15 secs)6 secs

Looks like I am going to have to plunge my hand firmly into pocket!

Is there any preference on OS?
                              I will be wanting to network the new machine with others using XP other than that, whatever works Actinic the quickest would be the choice.

Another slight annoyance I have come across today is that the search function within orders does not look amongst products marked as hidden on site. This means if I am doing an offline order on the phone, I need to uncheck the necessary products in the tree before entering orders.(At which point the customer usually remembers something else he needs)
                              Graham

www.Briggsbits.co.uk
                              The online store for Briggs and Stratton spare parts

Comment

Working...
                              X