Abandoned carts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abandoned carts

I've been looking through my web stats at the paths visitors take through the site. I see some that visit the page cgi-bin/cannnnnn.pl which I take to mean that they added something to their cart. However quite a lot don't go through to completion. Is this correct, are people adding some items to their basket and then logging out, and if so, can the community shed some light on this behaviour and what steps can be taken to encourage people to continue to checkout? Myself, when buying from an online store, I'd only create a "test" cart if it wasn't clear whether I was going to be charged extra for delivery at the end, but on my site it's clear that the prices are inclusive so I'm a bit stumped as to why folk would abandon their shopping like that.
    Martin
    Modelmotorracing.com : Web services : Twitter

Its the slowest site i have used for a while, if that is not just a blip, maybe that is your problem. My cart hung for ages with me left wondering what was occurring. Had that been a real life purchase, it would have been 'sod this and onto the next one'.

Comment

For me, a good enough reason to abandon at the checkout would be the cheap and nasty Google ads for losing belly fat and scam home working packs. It just gives a tacky aftertaste to the whole site.

The 2% surcharge you apply for Paypal is another good reason. Are you sure you are allowed to do this??

I didn't have any problems with speed, though. I wouldn't have been able to order from you in any case as you don't ship to Switzerland

Edit

Having played around a little, if you select credit/debit card to pay, although the java pop up says it's a secure area, there is no way of knowing. There's no https or golden padlock in the address bar, and I for one would never give my details on a page without them. In any case, you are not PCI compliant processing cards this way.
      Last edited by guccij; 05-Aug-2008, 01:02 PM. Reason: additional stuff
      Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Abandoned cats should be taken to nearest re-homing shelter. If they are sick, then call the RSPCA.

Think of the kittens.

Comment

The Java SSL encryption on the checkout would be enough to put me off. You really should not be using this in this day and age and should either go down the PSP route or arrange to get your own secure server (I won't even start on PCI-DSS compliance, read up on the many threads here about it before you get your own SSL). How many people actually have Java installed these days for a start? Making someone download something just for the pleasure of buying something from you is criminal, not to mention the fact that anyone who does have it installed has no real way of knowing whether it is secure or not, other than your word of course.

Oh and as Jules say, lose the Google ads, there really is no place for them in a e-commerce site and only give any customers another way of leaving your site.
          Cheers

David
          Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

Well the site is working OK(ish) again for me now, there still seems a delay while the checkout styles itself, but all kicks in OK after that. Although to be honest, you have more things wrong than right, i'd be wondering more about the people who do spend with you than those who do not, because any transaction on a checkout process of that sort, in today's marketplace, is truly remarkable.

I suggest you have a good read about PCI compliance, sticky on the forum available and get yourself modernised, you are at least 3 years behind the times.

Comment

OK thanks for the pointers. It's a wonder why Actinic still offer the Java option if that's the case.
              Martin
              Modelmotorracing.com : Web services : Twitter

Comment

I followed the link you have on this page and it took me a while before I found that you were a shop. Make it a bit more obvious from this page if this is the one Google etc finds.

Get rid of the Paypal surcharge like Guccij suggests, this puts me right off. It's better to get sales and make 2% less than get no sales at all.

Comment

Originally posted by martinkay View Post
                  OK thanks for the pointers. It's a wonder why Actinic still offer the Java option if that's the case.
                  its there for legacy reasons, although it would be a good idea if actinic dropped it now - especially for pci reasons

Comment

Working...
                  X