Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It is possible to show the cost of the shipping in the product listing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is possible to show the cost of the shipping in the product listing?

Hi,

It is possible to show the cost of the shipping in the product listing? I know I could probably hard code it, but could there be a way with some magic code that works out how much its going to be, based on the weight for that product?

Many thanks

Angi
    christopherpiperwines.co.uk
    skatewarehouse.co.uk
    progrow.co.uk
    cheeksandcherries.co.uk

If each product has a weight, then you could have a blockif relaying a cost which ties in with your shipping tables. You cannot link the two (well you might be able to through some fancy direct db connect using php), so as the shipping tables changed, you'd need to update the blockifs too. If weight is 2kg, then cost is £2.50, if it is 4kg, then it is £3.50 etc. You can even do the less than or equal operators.

However, you often find that doing this is a bad idea, because economies of scale cannot be accounted for. If I am selling a product thats costs £5.95 to send, would I be charging £59.50 to send 10 of them? I hope not, if you are though, it will probably work. It also doesn't account for me sending multiple different items also, if i am sending a lead balloon and a feather, i should not be charging for the feather, but i have to charge for the feather if that is all they order. You can often make your shipping sound higher than it is.

Comment

we did it on surf-wax, see any SPP to see it in action.

we ship by weight so its a simple blockif

Code:
       <b>  When shipped on its own, delivery cost (UK) for this item is:  
               <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22ShippingWeight%22%20%2f%3e%20%20%3e%200%2e00%20and%20%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22ShippingWeight%22%20%2f%3e%20%20%3c%3d%200%2e12" >
      	         £1.50
               </actinic:block>
               <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22ShippingWeight%22%20%2f%3e%20%20%3e%200%2e12%20and%20%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22ShippingWeight%22%20%2f%3e%20%20%3c%3d%200%2e25" >
      	         £1.95
               <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22ShippingWeight%22%20%2f%3e%20%20%3e%200%2e25%20and%20%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22ShippingWeight%22%20%2f%3e%20%20%3c%3d%200%2e5">
      	        £2.50 
               <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22ShippingWeight%22%20%2f%3e%20%20%3e%200%2e50%20and%20%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22ShippingWeight%22%20%2f%3e%20%20%3c%3d%200%2e75">
      	         £2.95
               <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22ShippingWeight%22%20%2f%3e%20%20%3e%200%2e75%20and%20%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22ShippingWeight%22%20%2f%3e%20%20%3c%3d%201%2e00">
      	         £3.50
               <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22ShippingWeight%22%20%2f%3e%20%20%3e%201%2e00%20and%20%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22ShippingWeight%22%20%2f%3e%20%20%3c%3d%201%2e05">
      	         £4.50
               <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22ShippingWeight%22%20%2f%3e%20%20%3e%201%2e05%20and%20%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22ShippingWeight%22%20%2f%3e%20%20%3c%3d%201%2e25">
      	         £6.95
               </actinic:block></b>
               <br>Total shipping costs are shown in the checkout before you commit to purchase.<br>

Comment

I'm trying to show the order weight in the v10 checkout somewhere - anywhere - or at least give some indication whether the parcel will be over or under 2kg, and am playing with the ShippingWeight variable and trying the code above to no avail. Is there a quick and easy way to do this?
        Martin
        Modelmotorracing.com : Web services : Twitter

Comment

Very difficult to do, maybe even impossible unless you have very simple shipping in place. Get the buyer focused on their order value and your products instead, any system relying on customers to evaluate weight is flawed IMO. Its why free shipping on orders over such and such is so powerful.

Comment

It seems odd that it should be so hard to do because the value for total weight is visible in Actinic in the order's shipping area and I just wanted to fish it out and display it in the checkout. Well, coming at it another way, it's to get around the issue of large packages to Highlands and Islands costing significantly more to ship. Everyone else in the UK gets free shipping (as indeed do Highlands and Islands by post under 2kg) but courier companies won't get out of bed to go to the Hebrides et al without extra cash. I have a shipping class set up which people in these far flung postcodes can select if they are ordering something over 2kg, and I just wanted a way of confirming to them through displaying the weight, that "yes this order is going to require a courier".
            Martin

Comment

Everyone else in the UK gets free shipping (as indeed do Highlands and Islands by post under 2kg)
              Looking at this from a customers perspective, what you're doing is telling them to place multiple orders under 2Kg as that way delivery will be free.

This may make sense in some way, but is it any different from you breaking a heavy order up into multiple packages and using RM anyway?

Mike
              -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

If it's a single item weighing 6kg, it can't be broken up, hence the problem. Anyone anywhere else in the UK ordering one of these gets it at no extra cost, and the outlying postcodes incur a big premium from the courier which I can't absorb.
                Martin

Comment

Why not set up a separate zone for Highlands and charge them accordingly for the weight?

Bikster
                  SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Well that's what I have, a separate class within the UK which is free up to 2kg and then adds the surcharge on for parcels above 2kg. But I just wanted to be able to show the package weight in the checkout area close to the shipping selector, just so folk are aware how far over they are, if they have maybe ordered a couple of items that just go over the 2kg. The only place I seem to be able to put "ShippingWeight" is in the product layout, if I try and put it anywhere in a totalled area I get the error "you've put ShippingWeight in View Basket but it won't work there" or something like that. The number I want to display is the one in the Shipping and Handling tab, Order Packaging section, "weight in kg", it's infuriating that it's staring at me within Actinic but I can't display it to the customer.
                    Martin

Comment

From what I can tell, doing this isn't going to be quick and easy.

The most effective solution would be to modify the perl scripts so that they write the total weight to the cart summary cookie, this way the weight could be displayed wherever you want it.

It's probably not a huge task but you would need someone who knows what they're doing. You could try requesting it as a wish list item.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Working...
                      X