Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

import design or snapshot?

Hi

Our current Cotton Bunting site has been upgraded from v7 to v8 and now to v9 and for wheatever reason we can't get the old ga code to work and we can't turn GA on using v9. (It adds additional checkout links which then do nothing.)
    So I decided to re do the whole site in v9. Rightly or wrongly I licensed a new site and re-designed it from scratch whilst we were using the current version live. On Friday (i know, stupid day to do it ) I imported the snapshot from the new design into the old and just ticked the overwrite content box so as to keep all the old orders. Hit upload feeling very proud of myself and 20 seconds later the world crashed at my feet!
    It generated error messages over cgi scripts, partly uploaded the new site and left bits of the old site etc, but without the cgi's you couldn't order.
    I re-imported the old snapshot and it uploaded fine.

Does anyone know why did this not work? Should I have selected import design and done it that way? (I thought that was for dreamweaver etc.) I'm totally at a loss as to what to do now as I don't want to go through the nightmare of crashing the site again but desperately need to get the ga working again so need the v9 verson live. At the time I just needed to get the site live so in my panic i didn't note the exact wording of the error.

thanks D
    Donna

Chief bunting supplier to Take That!

Design snapshot should work, although i only use it under duress!

is it just the orders you want to bring into your new design? if so, revert to your latest v9 snapshot which contains the new design (and presumably the product detail too), then use the import orders feature on the file menu.

this will prompt you for a MDB file, choose the latest mdb ie actiniccatalog.mdb from Site1 (or whatever your latest site folder is called that contains the upto date orders.)

this will bring orders into your new design, then do a test upload either in test mode or to a test URL

Comment

Hi Jo
      Thanks for this. Couldn't work out how to import the orders hence went the other way round.
      Now won't accept my ftp password and username despite being the same as the other one grrr! Don't know why.Will keep trying.

Thanks for your help D
      Donna

Chief bunting supplier to Take That!

Comment

Working...
      X