extended info pages for ingredients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

extended info pages for ingredients

Hi, our site sells sweets, we are about to list all the ingredients in each sweet.
    We have this info in a excel file.
    Currently we have about a dozen products set up to use the extended info page, we put the ingredients list in there with a simple button link.

As we have over 500 products to update we want to try and find the best method, having looked through the forum i see there are some concerns with google and extended info pages.

Would using extended info pages be ok or can anyone recommend a better approach. We don't really want to list the ingredients below each product, a button called ingredients is our preferred approach.
    The link below shows are current set up with a product and extended info page.
    www treasureislandsweets.co.uk/acatalog/sugar-free-mints-tin.html

thanks
    wesley
    Treasure Island Sweets

Have you considered using Norman's Tabber?
    http://www.drillpine.biz/actinicstuff/index.html

Comment

It depends on whether you want the ingedients indexed by Google or not. If you don't then your button activated Extended Info page is fine (the button fires off a JavaScript link that Google won't follow).

One thing you need to address is that your main page reloads whenever the popup page opens. This is because you've removed some code from your <body> tag.

Change it to

<body onload="bPageIsLoaded=true;">

And all will be well.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

hi, thanks for the quick response.
        No need for google to list our ingredients!

Norman, i see that reload issue now you pointed it out.
        Would i need to enter that new line
        <body onload="bPageIsLoaded=true;">

after the main <body> in the main website page

or is it missing from the pop up window

Kind Regards
        Wesley
        Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

Normans tabber is the way to go, we have just added it to a couple of products (will roll out throughout site soon) and it gives the opportunity to add loads of info to the page that doesn't need indexing by google but is useful to the customer.
          www.parklifeclothes.co.uk

Parklife, Whitby

Diesel, Converse, Crocs, Quiksilver, Miss Sixty, Scotch & Soda, Bench, Levi's, Kickers

Comment

ok, norman, taber looks good, might be overkill for the sweets site but I could possibly use on a new venture we have in pipe line.

Can anyone explain how it integrates with v9, if there is a demo, how it works with search engines, any problems i should know of.

Could it be linked to a excel file or database file through actinics external links.

I did have a look at demo norman has but although it look good did not show anything about the back end.

Cheers
            wesley
            Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

Tabber displays all the text from every tab in one long list (each tab in a separate LI) as the page is loaded. Once the page has loaded some JavaScript kick-in and hide the inactive tabs.

From a search engines point of view all the text from all the tabs is visible.

Comment

hi, Norman, where would one enter the information in actinic, does tabber create its own menu in the product tab of actinic, does it require much code to add to our site
                thanks
                wesley
                Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

Tabber uses the normal product description for everything. Here's a bit from the

ReadMe:

This patch adds the capability to automatically build a set of tabs within your Product or Fragment
                  descriptions that contain headings and text.
                  Adding tabs is really easy - all you have to do is put text like

{SUMMARY}Product summary text here.
                  {DETAILS}Product details here.
                  {INFO}Additional information here.

into your description and the tabs will be automatically built.
                  You can also have text before and after the tabbed box. E.g.

Preliminary description text that comes before the tabbed box
                  {SUMMARY}Product summary text here.
                  {DETAILS}Product details here.
                  {INFO}Additional information here.
                  {}
                  Additional description text that comes after the tabbed box.

You can do fancier things (like putting other bits of Actinic content into separate tabs) with a little bit of tweaking.

It doesn't require much code. You simply replace the ProductDescription variable with the TabbedProductDescription one and that's that.

Comment

hi, would it be possible do you think to have one of the tabs to include the 'prompt other info question'

I would like the tabs to be set up to include

tab 1: ingredients
                    tab 2: full contents
                    tab 3 : an option for the customer to input a free message

kind regards
                    wesley
                    Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

Tabber is a £35 add-on. As such it doesn't come with bespoke customisation. However I've documented how to do such enhancements on http://www.drillpine.biz/forums/viewforum.php?f=12 and in particular http://www.drillpine.biz/forums/view...php?f=12&t=300

Comment

cheers norman, it looks like it will do what i need.
                        ONe last question, if you install tabber, does it run on every product, i have some products i do not need tabber to use.

thanks
                        wesley
                        Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

It's entirely optional.

If you don't have any {heading}text in your product descriptions then the normal description is displayed.

If you do some of the tweaks so that it incorporates other Actinic content (like Choices, Other Info, etc), then you do that in an alternative product layout so you can still choose which layout to use.

Comment

hi Norman, have emailed you request for invoice
                            thanks
                            wesley
                            Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

Hi... I'm very interested in the tabber. How does the tabber effect search engine optimisation?

Folk

Comment

Working...
                              X