Multi-site same domain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi-site same domain

Has anyone encountered any problems with hosting two Actinic sites on the same hosting platform and with the same domain?

We only have one product, a dvd, which comes in two versions - a British and a US version. The US version is about to be launched and we want to sell this one with dollars as the base currency. After speaking to Actinic last week we have concluded that the best way of doing this is to have two sites.

What I'm not sure about is whether they will both run happily next to each other, with the original one in /acatalog and the new one in /US/acatalog.

We use Clara as the host and haven't had any performance problems with the first site.

Cheers,

Bob

As long as they have different CGI Script ID Numbers (Web / Network Setup) you should be fine.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Dont forget the catalog licence is only for one site unless others are brought
      Chris Ashdown

Comment

We were going to get another license. We're using Catalog LE so it seems to be the most cost effective way of having another site as there isn't an LE client for Actinic Designer.

Comment

LE is definitely best if only that number of products.

Comment

Just a query. Are there any SEO implications of duplicating a site within the same domian?

Army Gore-tex
            Winter Climbing Mitts
            webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
            Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Should be OK as one is in English and the other in American!

Duplicate content is a definite issue but can be resolved with an exclusion to one half of the site.

Bikster
              SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by jont View Post
                Duplicate content is a definite issue but can be resolved with an exclusion to one half of the site.
                Jonty - could you explain what this means? I've racked my brains but no joy
                Kind Regards
                Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

The content could essentially be the same between the US and the UK version ... you can set up rules in the robots.txt to tell search engines not to index specific directories on the server... thereby only 1 half of the site can be seen and treated as unique content.

Bikster
                  SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Cheers for that Jont, I was hoping you'd find the post.

Army Gore-tex
                    Winter Climbing Mitts
                    Twitter LinkedIN

Comment

I assume you are targeting the US - in which case you would be better hosting the site on a US based server with a .com domain

Comment

Glad you said that I was also thinking the same, i'd be more inclined to go .co.uk and .com personally.

Comment

In which case the US site would be better of as a complete new design because the same content would be considred as spamming from an SE point of view? Or am I talking out my arse?

Army Gore-tex
                          Winter Climbing Mitts
                          Twitter LinkedIN

Comment

In which case the US site would be better of as a complete new design because the same content would be considred as spamming from an SE point of view?
                            Correct....

Comment

Originally posted by jont View Post
                              The content could essentially be the same between the US and the UK version ... you can set up rules in the robots.txt to tell search engines not to index specific directories on the server... thereby only 1 half of the site can be seen and treated as unique content.
                              Thanks Jont
                              Kind Regards
                              Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Working...
                              X