PC crash - no backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC crash - no backup

Is there a way of recovering content and settings from the on-line server in the case of a complete loss of data on the PC-end?
    Not worried about loss of orders as these have been e-mailed to me.

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris
    Chris

Simple answer is no. Unless you have a snapshot then you will need to copy and paste from the live site. Several threads on this subject.

Comment

I'm afraid that every few weeks there's a similar post. The answer is always the same as Mal gave above.

There are data recovery companies that can get data back even from crashed disk drives. Try searching online for them (ontrack springs to mind) - be prepared to possibly pay thousands though.

I'm afraid that you've just learned the lesson about the importance of backups the hard way.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

i use a programme called carbonite that "syncs" my selected files
        its great i got over 6gig on there servers all encrypted

saved me a few times with kids pictures etc

i can get a free month if you sign up

email me and ill send you a link
        every little helps as they say
        Remembering the road to Actinic enlightenment is a long and sometimes painful one.
        Current project:
        cheapadulttoys4u.co.uk
        cheaplingerie4u.co.uk
        Something for the Missus,Something for the Weekend

Comment

I'm confused.
          Your profile says that you joined the forum in 2004 and that you are a developer.
          I can't believe that you have not learned the value of backups.

I have been in PC support for a long time and I may be able to offer a little hope here.
          It's a long-shot but well worth a try.
          It all depends on what sort of 'crash' it is.
          Remove your hard-drive with the Actinic data on.
          Get a freind or your local PC guru to add it as a 2nd, (or 3rd), drive on a working PC.
          If you are lucky, you could find that your directory structure is intact.
          If it is, then Zip the whole of the Actinic, Site1 directory, (or whatever you called it).
          Rename it Site1.acd
          On your New Pc import it as a snapshot.
          Good Luck.

If that fails, then also worth noting is that probably the most precious resources that will be missing are the images.
          Go onto your existing site through ftp and grab the whole of the acatalog directory.
          There may well be other stuff that will ease the pain in there as well, (any style sheets for example).

Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Working...
          X