Cannot start Actinic from local PC - dumped out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot start Actinic from local PC - dumped out

I am using 9.02 IFZA in multi-user mode with 2 users. When I try to start Actinic from the main PC it is loaded on (and which also stores the database) it gets as far as the login screen and after entering a password it says it has encountered an error and must close then exits and creates a dump file like this Catalog_9_0_2_0_0_0_IFZA_0810160844.dmp - I have attached it as a zip file.

The very weird thing is that if I go to another PC on my network and use run mstsc or a web browser with Remote Web Workplace to log into the original PC remotely and then use the remote control to start Actinic it all works fine.

Exactly the same thing happens on the second user PC I have set up - cannot load locally but can load Actinic fine through a remote connection.

Once it has been started with a remote connection, I can close that connection, return to the orginal PC and use Actinic to do most things EXCEPT enter a new order locally or add a line to an existing order - that gives the same message as before and it exits. Then I have to log in remotely, start it again, move back, try again.... A little tedious!!!

I have reported this to Actinic support several times and not had any answers. If anyone has any idea why this is happening or what I can do about it, I would very much appreciate it.

Technical stuff...
    I have the main copy of Actinic installed on the C drive of my fast Dell PC and the database also stored on that C drive (much faster than having it on the server when it comes to design changes, page previews etc)

Server runs MS Small Business Server 2003

Second user PC is a slower Dell and links to the database on my fast PC - The Server does not figure in the Actinic setup apart from connecting the users.

In desperation, I have considered upgrading to the Beta 9.03 to see if it would fix this very frustrating problem but the general view on the forum seems to be to steer clear of it for live environments and I don't want to make things even worse.
    Attached Files
    Keith Milsom
    www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk
    Left handed products and information

Multi-User is this version is very problematic I find.

The latest for us was that our second user could not log in. Well, I lie, they could, but it instantly generates a dmp file and does not let you go further.

I no longer use M-U in v9, I dont have the time or the will to sort out these problems anymore.

I think M-U works much better in v8.

(In your problem lefty, try starting Actinic from the exe file in the programme folder instead of any shortcut, worth a try anyway)
    Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Thanks George but not great news! I have now upgraded my sites to V9 and do not really want to take a backward (?) step to V8 to get multi-user working reliably, or at all. I thought the released version 9.02 was supposed to have been tested and stable?

Have tried opening from the catalog.exe file direct and get exactly the same problem.

Support have suggested taking backups, uninstalling everything and reinstalling from scratch to try to identify the problem, but that is going to take me all day I think and I have already wasted many hours fiddling about trying to get this to work.
      Keith Milsom
      www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk
      Left handed products and information

Comment

Hmmm... whats different in the start-up process when Actinic is opened remotely then?

Must be something you can do here I'd have thought. I know its not ideal, but even a workaround `gets you going` again.

Have you been using v9 MU long? And do you use stock control? If so, any chance of some seedback as to how it compares to v8?

Hope you get sorted soon.
        Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Originally posted by lefty View Post
          In desperation, I have considered upgrading to the Beta 9.03 to see if it would fix this very frustrating problem but the general view on the forum seems to be to steer clear of it for live environments and I don't want to make things even worse.
          I understand the Beta does not support MU anyway
          Chris Ashdown

Comment

Working...
          X