Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugly blue transition between pages

Ok folks, this has me stumped!
    On the site I am currently developing here there appears to be an occasional lag while moving between certain pages. For example if you click 'find out more' on the home page (in the only new product on the page) there is a deep blue transition before the browser gets to the target page. This happens on other transitions too, but not all. It appears in IE7 and FF. I am using a Webfusion VPS for hosting - does anybody else see this or have any ideas?
    Many TIA
    Mick
    Last edited by meden; 21-Oct-2008, 04:47 PM. Reason: link update
    The Pretty Dress Company

have you checked for 2 body declarations in your stylesheet?
    If you look at it in Firefox, with Firebug, you can see a second body declaration which is giving this darker blue background image.
    Must be in your Actinic stylesheet somewhere, I'd say!

Failing that, you maybe have background (calling your faded blue image) AND background-image (which is giving the dark blue) all in one body style?
    Tracey

Comment

Hi Tracey
      Thanks for that but I can't for the life of me find where it's calling the deep blue background yet if I comment out

'background: url(bg.jpg) repeat-x scroll 0 0;'

(which is the background image I need) in the Actinic stylesheet then the deep blue bg appears on every page - however if I ignore that line using Firebug it just shows a white background - any more ideas?

I've also just realised that it seems to only appear if the CGI bin has a part in the transaction - ie if you use the main nav to get to the product it doesn't occur, however if you use the new product link (or any other way that brings up the

'The link you selected would normally run a CGI script.
      This facility is not available in preview mode.'

warning screen when using the preview method locally.
      Hope this makes sense to someone!
      Last edited by meden; 20-Oct-2008, 02:24 PM. Reason: further info
      The Pretty Dress Company

Comment

hmm..ya know what's really weird is that now, when I look at it in Firebug, it doesn't show the extra background-image reference in the CSS (it was calling some theme colour image)
        can't bloody see it now though, although I can still see the dark blue.
        Is it possible that you only notice it when passing through the cgi-bin, due to the slightly delayed response when navigating this way?
        I dunno!
        Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by TraceyHand View Post
          Is it possible that you only notice it when passing through the cgi-bin, due to the slightly delayed response when navigating this way?
          I dunno!
          Hmm...you could be right Tracey- a call to support may be on the cards i suppose, cheers anyway
          The Pretty Dress Company

Comment

If you are using the shortened bg CSS property, why not just the colour into that instead and tell it what you want to be used?

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean Lee? I'm not using the shortened bg property (at least i don't think i am) - the image is called bg which may be causing confusion. I need to use an image because there is a fade effect in place
              The Pretty Dress Company

Comment

In CSS you have background-color to define a color, you have background-image to define an image and they can both be used in one shortened style called just 'background'. So you can have:

background: #ff0000 url('myimage.jpg') repeat-x;

to replace

background-color: #ff0000;
                background-image: url('myimage.jpg');
                background-position: repeat-x;

you are then defining a color and an image and specifiying position all on one shortened concise line. Your CSS looks like it has been lifted from a library and is actually using this property, it just isn't providing the color at the start of it, which you don't have to, but generally it is a good idea to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by meden View Post
                  I've also just realised that it seems to only appear if the CGI bin has a part in the transaction - ie if you use the main nav to get to the product it doesn't occur, however if you use the new product link (or any other way that brings up the
                  Using Firebug in FF3 you can see that the blue background only appears whilst the site is doing a GET ss00001 instruction, too quick to read all the details but I am then getting a 404 message for GET theme.css. It looks like you have a setting that is causing the screen to clear (dark blue background ) before writing the new screen, possibly on the host rather than actinic.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
                  SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
                  Custom Packages

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
                    Your CSS looks like it has been lifted from a library and is actually using this property
                    Not from a library Lee, that's a holdover from the DW generated css that I started my design with - I tried your suggestion but it just allowed the bg to repeat top to bottom and didn't solve the deep blue problem.

I think you might be onto something Malcolm, but as I'm using a self managed VPS I'm not sure how to resolve this - I will speak to both Actinic and Webfusion (with the required amount of cynicism of course!)
                    The Pretty Dress Company

Comment

What background color is defined in your design | themes | advanced themes config | color scheme?

Comment

That is what's confusing me Lee (that and life in general) - it's set to #ffffff and there are no other color settings that even approach that deep a blue
                        The Pretty Dress Company

Comment

It's an image Mick, not a colour, it's called 'theme_main_background.gif' doing it. General tab in site options and you will see it defined. At the bottom you get to select whether you use a color or an image, actinic do not allow both, if you want both, then dont use site options, and type your own style into the css as detailed earlier.

You can now sleep a happy man lol.

Comment

You, sirrah, are an absolute diamond! cheers to everybody who helped me sort this - it was driving me nuts! **ambles off happily to the Guinness shop**
                            The Pretty Dress Company

Comment

I'm not your chuffing sirrah!

Comment

Working...
                              X