Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy Way to Change Exchange Rates?

Hey all,

Is there any easy way to make store-wide price-changes in different currencies?

I have my store set to show in US Dollars, as we sell British goods to the USA. However, we pride ourselves in passing currency conversuon savings onto our customers, so now every month I find myself having to manually change all the prices to reflect the change in the exchange rate (as I've entered them in Dollars)

Is there a way to price the items in sterling, but only show in US Dollars? That way I could just change the relevant exchange rate rather than 300+ items!!

Any help would be appreciated. (Plus I'm still trying to sort out the whole postage spreadsheet thing)
    www.stixnstring.com (knitting retail site)

Any gentle critiques welcome - designed by a complete non-programmer and always willing to learn.

I know this is not really what you are asking for but ...

You can export all your products into Excel, apply a formula to set the new price then import them back in. Would be quicker than doing it all manually.
    Unusual Silver Jewellery
    Giftmill - Unusual Gifts
    Crystal Healing Jewellery
    Steampunk Jewellery

Comment

I've not tried it but you could enter the prices in £ and then edit the price layout to only show the second currency ie $. That way you could do as you say and use the exchange rate tab to alter all the prices in one go

Comment

Rural - I didn't know I could do that, that would be great. How do I get it to only show the second currency? I was hoping to be able to show Euro as well, but I'd rather just have dollars than have to muck about with spreadsheets - my experiments with the postage sheets have so far been comical.

I've tried making GBP the 1st currency, but hiding that automatically hides the second. I've tried making it the 2nd but that seems to defeat the object.

Am I missing something really obvious?

Any gentle critiques welcome - designed by a complete non-programmer and always willing to learn.

Comment

as I said I've not tried to do it but it should be possible. I'm out cycling for the day but if you've not managed it by this evening I'll have a look for you.

Comment

Thankyou Mal, I'm going to carry on fiddling about and see if I can crack through luck/perserverance/yelling at the lappy and hoping it takes notice.

Comment

Couldn't you just show the price in Dollars and Pounds and use the Business settings exchange rate function?
              Fitness for life!www.fitness-focus.co.uk

DIFN - Doing nothing is not an option

The Supplement Warehouse - Bodybuilding & Fitness Supplements

Comment

2 choices here

use actinic 2nd currency option, this has the disadvantage of you having to reupload every page each time you change the exchange rate

or use Drillpines / NorPrice - Automatic multi currency display on entire catalog.
                http://www.drillpine.biz/actinicstuff/index.html (top item in the paid for stuff section)

Comment

On a different subject, IMO your site would really benefit from single add to cart per page, shoppers can add more stuff from each page without having to go to the cart every time.

I looked at the chocolate page, if I were in the US and placing an order, I'd probably want to put more than one in my basket

Comment

Thankyou for your comments, Jo. I have absolutely no idea how to add single cart per page - it's certainly a good idea as we do have a lot of products per page. I will have a look as to how to do that.

I was really trying to get away with not putting sterling prices on the catalogue, but so far it looks like that's the only way to get around it without major hassles. I will have a look at the site you suggested and see if it would do the job!

Comment

If you set the site up to display the 2 currencies and then select the design tab and click on the price you wish to hide, you should see the code that creates it and be able to remove or hide it.

Single Add To Cart is set either in DESIGN | DESIGN OPTIONS if you want it global or you can specify it at section level if you only want it on certain sections. Look into 'shopping mode'.

Comment

if you've not managed it by this evening I'll have a look for you.
                        The offer was made

Comment

Thanks Malcom, it's a really kind offer. Going to sit down with it tonight, so might have to call upon you if you don't mind!

Comment

And lee - I had a look at the code in the design tab. I then quietly shut down Actinic and went for a lie-down in a dark room.

Hats off to the people who spend all day looking at that. Blimey! I think I spotted the bit I needed, but couldn't be sure, and was too nervous to fiddle with it.

Comment

LOL Oberon, it's not as bad as it looks, if you see it day in day out, you begin to read it just like it is English. It's actually very logical, just looks scarey.

Comment

Working...
                              X