moving catalog data between sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

moving catalog data between sites

I'm rather confused with moving data around...

I have a site full of products, and each product has a number of detail images (the filenames are stored in custom variables attached to the product).

How would I copy the product image filenames to another site? I've tried exporting the variables via "export specific design elements" but this appears to output the variable definitions, not the data contained.

I've also tried copying the database, but this knackers the design.

please help.

Why not use a Snapshot?

Army Gore-tex
    Winter Climbing Mitts
    webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
    Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

but won't that also export the design?

Comment

Yes, but you could then import another design to overwrite it... Alternatively what about a File | Export?

Army Gore-tex
        Winter Climbing Mitts
        webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
        Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

I couldn't get a file|export imported again afterwards last time I tried it:

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=39629

I'll try the snapshot method, cheers!

Comment

Nope, that's thoroughly knackered my design.

The design snapshot I took beforehand does not return the site to the same layout... disappointing.

Comment

Export to a hierarchical file. This only saves Brochure pages, Sections and Products.

Make sure that you manually copy all images to the same place on new system. Then import hierarchical file.

Backup and Snapshot first.
              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

what's the difference between a backup and a snapshot?

Comment

A backup is just the database. A snapshot is usually the whole site, orders and content included. You can import a design snapshot as well.

Anyone else have that Friday feeling, you know, the one where you just want to bang your head against every wall in sight?
                  Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Originally posted by guccij View Post
                    Anyone else have that Friday feeling, you know, the one where you just want to bang your head against every wall in sight?
                    that directed at me? ouch.

Comment

That depends. A little more reading around the community, the KB, the AUG and, wait for it, even the software itself, and you never know, you might find the answers you are looking for. For example, I found this just now, regarding snapshots:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

You are about to create a snapshot. Snapshots are used to backup your site, and can also be used to transfer a site from one computer to another.

A snapshot is a single archive file (with an extension of *.acd) that contains all the files needed for your Actinic store. These include:

o The databases that contain all your site data
                      o All the images for your products etc. and all the images used by the design
                      o All other files used by the design
                      o All the files in the 'Design | Additional Files' list
                      o All the system (registry) settings for the site

Technical note: If you have any trouble creating a snapshot, try restarting Actinic and then try it again. Also make sure you haven't got the Actinic database open in any other programs (such as Access).
                      Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Sorry, I should have been clearer in the first place.

"Why are you recommending I take a backup and a snapshot when a snapshot supposedly contains everything necessary for a backup?"

I understand the principles of reading ahead beforehand. I understand the concept of RTFM. I don't post questions here lightly, but I'm also going to defer to those with more experience than me. I didn't know whether Norman's last sentence was a throwaway comment to ensure my site was safe (ie a snapshot would do) or something specific I needed to consider to solve my specific problem.

Kind of wish I hadn't bothered now.

Comment

Originally posted by guccij View Post
                          Yup!

Comment

For clarity:
                            Database backup is pretty much redundant but useful if you are preparing to do some work directly on it.
                            Snapshots are your lifeline. Take 1 a day. 1 every hour if you are working on it.
                            A snapshot is effectively a ZIP of the Site's directory with EVERYTHING in it.

To achieve what you want, try this:
                            1. Export a snapshot of your new site for safety.
                            2. Export a hierarchical file from your old site.
                            3. Export a snapshot of your old site
                            3. Change the name of the snapshot from whatever.acd to whatever.zip
                            4. Unzip it somewhere sensible.
                            5. Copy the image directory you want to inside your new site.
                            6. Import the old hierarchical file to your new site using 'update' option when asked.
                            This should add the old products into your new site and link the images as well.
                            I assume that you have the same variables used in the old site, set in the new site.

Hope that helps.
                            Have a good weekend.

Comment

Thanks very much.

Yes, the variables are the same.

Have a good weekend yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X