Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pound symbol shown as ? in the business settings, options screen

Hello,

I've searched and found lots of examples of the pound sign being wrong on the website, but on my PC, Actinic shows the pound sign as a "?" in the business settings options screen and the product screens.

This is the same PC I've used for years, and the one I've done all my Actinic work on and it's always been fine until today. I've checked the regional settings, keyboard (it's actually a laptop so the keyboard is original) and other country settings and they're all correctly set for Britain.

Other programs get the symbol right (spreadsheets etc) and if I press shift 3 for pound it shows correctly in wordpad, openoffice calc etc.

Does anyone know where Actinic gets it's symbols from? perhaps a font?

Best regards
    Dex

Sounds like your Charset type has got messed up. Check the code at the top of your overall layout, between the HEAD tags, and make sure the charset is set as follows:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

Regards,
    Rob.
    Rob

Ultra slim, ultra stylish light switches, dimmers and plug sockets for your home or business
    The Decorative Switch Company - Imagine The Possibilities

Comment

Hi,

It does sound like an encoding problem.

A simple fix would be to find the 'product price excluding tax' layout and replace

Code:
      <actinic:block PHP='true'>priceformat("<actinic:variable name="SecondCurrencyFormat" />","<Actinic:Variable Name="TaxExclusivePrice"/>", "<actinic:variable name="TaxExclusivePriceAlt" />");</actinic:block>
      with

<actinic:block PHP='true'>priceformat("<actinic:variable name="SecondCurrencyFormat" selectable="false" />",str_replace("£", "&pound;", "<actinic:variable name="TaxExclusivePrice" selectable="false" />"), "<actinic:variable name="TaxExclusivePriceAlt" selectable="false" />");</actinic:block>
      That should replace the symbol with standard html for the pound sign
      Last edited by itmdesign; 19-Nov-2008, 05:42 PM. Reason: Remove my own customisation!

Comment

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
        Yes, I checked that and it is correctly shown (although I thought it would only be relevant after uploading the file, and not affect the options screen)

I followed the suggestion from itmdesign and it does make the symbol show correctly in the design preview pane, but the symbol is still wrong in the business settings and product editing pages. I've added screen shots to show what I mean

all the best
        Dex
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dex,

I know you have checked your regional settings but it may be worth checking again. The thread below might help. Other than that I don't know.

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=31385

Regards, Rob.
          Rob

Ultra slim, ultra stylish light switches, dimmers and plug sockets for your home or business

Comment

I checked them and even changed them, rebooted, changed them back and rebooted again to be sure but it didn't fix it.

If I enter a number into a spreadsheet and set it to currency it shows as a pound sign. It seems to be only actinic that doesn't show it properly

all the best
            Dex
            Attached Files

Comment

Hmmm, I'm not sure then. At least the suggestion from Chris worked. As long as everything looks ok when your site is uploaded I'd just live with it. Throwing a shoe at the screen might make u feel a bit better as well

Regards,
              Rob.
              Rob

Comment

Hi Derek,

What regional setting do you have on the 'Advanced Tab'? If that is set to the United States, try changing it to UK.
                Tracey
                SellerDeck

Comment

Working...
                X