Searching and Hidden products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching and Hidden products

I have a number of hidden produts in actinic, when people do a search on the site these items appear in the search results.

Is there a way to stop this?

Thanks
    www.mashers.co.uk - Party And Catering Disposables

Hi David,

I can't recreate this problem. Can you supply a URL and give an example please?
    Tracey
    SellerDeck

Comment

yes sure,
      if you go to our website http://www.mashers.co.uk/ and search for 132220 which is the ref for one of our hidden products.

For some reason it still appears in the search results.

Thanks

Comment

Hi David,

I sounds like the indexing hasn't updated on your website. Can you try a purge and refresh (Help | Troubleshooting - if you don't have any customised perl scripts then tick all three boxes, otherwise I think you should be able to manage by just ticking the 'delete .cat and .fil files' and 'Exclude Image and Digital Download files').

Nick,

Is this product hidden to everyone or only visible to logged in customers? I have tried with it only visible for a particular customer group and can't recreate the problem (9.0.3), however, can you try going to 'Settings | Search Settings | Results tab' and unticking the 'Highlight located text' box to see if that helps.
        Tracey
        SellerDeck

Comment

Hi Nick,

I have tried your different solutions, but the hidden items are still appearing in the search.

Comment

Hi David,

Did you hide the section that the product is in or the product itself? I've been able to recreate the problem if only the section is hidden but if I tick the 'hide on website' box on the product and update then it isn't included in the search. I've reported this to the development team.
            Tracey
            SellerDeck

Comment

you are right, if I hide each individually product it works that way.

I am going to make myself a coffee and get on with doing that to 200 + products.

If you could suggest to the developers that hidden sections achieve this, that would be great.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

one day the un-hidden-ness of 'hidden' sections might actually be looked at properly!

A girl can hope, anyway
                Tracey

Comment

I have the same problem now that I look. Products in a hidden section appear in the search results. This did not happen in v902 and I have tried a purge/refresh to no avail.

Comment

Lighten up you lot, actinic just plays a crap game of hide and seek.

Comment

Hi,

The following SQL will find all sections marked as hidden and then tick the 'hide in website' boxes on the products in those sections:

- close Actinic
                      - browse to your site folder and locate the ActinicCatalog.mdb file (take a backup)
                      - open the file with MS Access
                      - go to 'Insert | Query'
                      - select 'Design View'
                      - close the 'Show Table' window that appears
                      - go to 'View | SQL View'
                      - replace the contents with the following:

Code:
                      UPDATE [Catalog section] INNER JOIN Product ON [Catalog section].nSectionID = Product.nParentSectionID SET Product.bSuppressHtml = -1
                      WHERE ((([Catalog section].bHideOnWebSite)=-1));
                      - click on 'Query | Run'.

Note that if you have sub-sections within a hidden section that are not also marked as hidden then this will not affect the products within the sub-sections. You will need to manually hide the sub-sections and then run this SQL.

- re-open Actinic and update your site.
                      Tracey
                      SellerDeck

Comment

Hi TraceyG

Thanks for that info. Is there any way of doing the job in Excel as we dont have MS Acces?

Comment

Someone posted only a few days ago about how to do these types of SQL queries without having Access on your system. Hopefully a bit of searching will find it.
                          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by TraceyHand View Post
                            one day the un-hidden-ness of 'hidden' sections might actually be looked at properly!

A girl can hope, anyway
                            My wife has some bits she likes hidden but sometimes find they are un-hidden so have to be placed again in the hidden section only to find they are un-hidden again when she is not looking or moves, getting like my hair, I try to have a spot hidden but sometimes it just becomes un-hidden and you try to make it hidden again and the wind makes it un-hidden
                            Chris Ashdown

Comment

Gabe's post:

http://community.actinic.com/showpos...31&postcount=7

/edit

so paste this into a new text file (amend the second line to point to the actual location of your site mdb) and save it as a .vbs file. Backup first(!!!) then double click it.

Code:
                              'my shop database is located at:
                              mydb = "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Actinic v8\Sites\site1\ActinicCatalog.mdb"

Set OBJdbConnection = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
                              	OBJdbConnection.Open "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" & mydb
                              	SQLQuery = "UPDATE [Catalog section] INNER JOIN Product ON [Catalog section].nSectionID = Product.nParentSectionID SET Product.bSuppressHtml = -1 WHERE ((([Catalog section].bHideOnWebSite)=-1));"
                              	Set Result = OBJdbConnection.Execute(SQLQuery)
                              	OBJdbConnection.Close	

msgbox("done")

Comment

Working...
                              X