Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Payment Method

Hi There,

I think this topic may have been covered before, but I cannot find a resolution so I appologise if its old news!

What I would like to do is to treat credit cards and debit cards seperately. I mean two seperate payment methods. Is there some way that I can duplicate the current credit/debit payment method?

I should then theoretically be able to apply a surcharge to credit cards whilst leaving debit cards alone.

Thanks!

I should then theoretically be able to apply a surcharge to credit cards whilst leaving debit cards alone.
    Are you mad?
    There is one thing you need to understand about internet retailing. Customers can ditch your store/site/shopping/cart/order process with the click of a mouse in a fraction of a second. Unlike a real world shop where they can be 'embarrassed' into accepting such charges by a human checkout operator.

I'll go further most online customers are looking for a reason not to trust the retailer and IMHO a credit card surcharge is more than enough to send them on their way.

Comment

psychic evaluations aside, can this be done?

Comment

Incidentally it is not that unusual for airlines to charge a credit card fee.

This is for a flight school

Comment

You should be using a psp so it would be done there rather than in actinic

Comment

Originally posted by ekimonfi View Post
            Incidentally it is not that unusual for airlines to charge a credit card fee.

This is for a flight school
            Sorry but I cannot see the correlation.

Mal is perfectly correct a PSP is essential if you are intent on going down this road.

Comment

I have read the pros and cons in the other topics I didn't really want a debate on whether I should do this as that has already been covered. Mal the psp is a nice suggestion but unless I am mistaken, the PSPs I have used just take a value and process it so you'd still need to calculate that before you got there. Also they would not differentiate between cards at any level that you would control.

However,
              We can do surcharges on different payment methods.

If we used two different PSPs we could put a surcharge on one but not the other - correct?

How can I create my own payment method based on the credit card one that is already there, can I copy this?

Comment

AFAIK Actinic only allows one instance of each payment method so you can't have two versions of the CC capture page (or of the same PSP).

You could potentially have a PSP for credit cards (with the surcharge) and the on page capture for debit cards. The on page capture doesn't comply with the PCI-DSS requirements and the card companies are now clamping down on this.

Two PSPs would work. You would need to disable credit cards on the debit card one.

Personally, I would forget the surcharge idea, negotiate a good deal on the CC fees and promote the 'no surcharge' as a benefit. At the end of the day though it's your business and you know it best.

Mike
                -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot View Post
                  Personally, I would forget the surcharge idea, negotiate a good deal on the CC fees and promote the 'no surcharge' as a benefit.
                  If you're a member of the FSB then you can get reduced CC fees from Streamline. They'll even set up Merchant Accounts (You'll need one for your PSP account) for you at no cost, usually £100. All you have to do is provide the your FSB membership number.

Army Gore-tex
                  Winter Climbing Mitts
                  webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
                  Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Thanks for all your input guys, I do appreciate that surcharges give internet shops a bad name and that a PSP would be far better! The problem is that I can't force my client to go with this despite trying to convince them of the benefits on several occasions!

Technically, it does seem like a won't rather than can't problem though...

Comment

Mike has already told you its a cant, unless you get someone to write you your own payment intergration pages using the actinic kit, then rely on your customer to select the card type they have in the checkout then they get bounced to a psp it will have the charge on it.

If your client is that stubbon over 2% credit card charges then i doubt he would survive a recession when you cant absorb this into your day to day business.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren B View Post
                        Mike has already told you its a cant, unless you get someone to write you your own payment intergration pages using the actinic kit, then rely on your customer to select the card type they have in the checkout then they get bounced to a psp it will have the charge on it.

If your client is that stubbon over 2% credit card charges then i doubt he would survive a recession when you cant absorb this into your day to day business.
                        So what is the actinic kit? I've not seen any reference to that.

You should open a business advice section on this forum so people interested in that side of things can read it.

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot View Post
                          forget the surcharge idea, negotiate a good deal on the CC fees and promote the 'no surcharge' as a benefit.
                          Mike
                          Best advice ever if you and your client want to trade online IMHO!

Comment

Originally posted by ekimonfi View Post
                            You should open a business advice section on this forum so people interested in that side of things can read it.
                            It's the development toolkit to allow PSP's to develop their own plugin API to Actinic to offer their payment service.
                            It starts at £1000

http://www.actinic.co.uk/products/toolkit-psp.htm
                            Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
                            Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
                            SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Originally posted by fergusw View Post
                              It's the development toolkit to allow PSP's to develop their own plugin API to Actinic to offer their payment service.
                              It starts at £1000

http://www.actinic.co.uk/products/toolkit-psp.htm
                              Many thanks fergus.

Comment

Working...
                              X