Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Level Section List Display Problem Again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Level Section List Display Problem Again!

Hi,

My problem relates to the top-level section list. The site is accessible through my profile.

I've just upgraded from Catalog V8 to Business V9. I implemented a fix from the Knowledge Base which allowed me to hide a couple of sections from the top-level section list. Whilst this fix hid the buttons, it actually left the purple border around the buttons visible. The only way I could find to resolve this was to change the border to white so that it was the same colour as the background of the page, meaning the border was invisible. However, since I did this, the menu does not display correctly in the various browsers and it has added a small arrow against the left side of each menu button. The rollover function also does not work anymore. It is odd as when you load the page, the top-level section list displays correctly for a moment or two then it changes.

I posted a similar problem a while ago here and Kevin (completerookie) kindly supplied a resolution. I've tried the previous suggestions this time but they haven't worked and I've run out of ideas. The attached image shows how the menu should display. The buttons have a rollover and should change to a lilac colour when a mouse moves over them.

I would be grateful if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can resolve this issue.

Thanks,
    Attached Files
    Jules

Can you post what you did and the code you have in place. Removing the section should remove the link in its entirety and not leave the borders.. sounds like you may not have wrapped the new code around everything.

Also check for "white space" .. ie gaps in the code particularly when links are involved.

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Thanks for your reply Jont.

I followed this fix in the Knowledge base 'How can I choose which sections to show in the Top Level Section List?'

I followed all the instructions in the article and also added the following condition to the 'Section Name Only Section Link'.

Code:
      <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22IsSectionIncludedInSiteMap%22%20%2f%3e%20AND%20%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22ShowInSidebar%22%20%2f%3e" >
      <a href="<actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22IsLoginPageSuppressed%22%20%2f%3e%20AND%0d%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22UnregCustomersAreNotAllowed%22%20%2f%3e" ><actinic:variable name="SectionPageName" /></actinic:block><actinic:block if="%28%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22IsLoginPageSuppressed%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20false%29%20OR%0d%28%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22UnregCustomersAreNotAllowed%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20false%29" ><actinic:variable name="SectionURL" /></actinic:block>" class="product_section">
         <Actinic:Variable Name="SectionName"/>
      </a>	
      </actinic:block>
      It was after I had done this that I realised that the section had been hidden but the border was still showing. Therefore, I went into the Actinic Stylesheet and edited the following lines (highlighted in red) so that the borders became white and therefore hidden in the background.

Code:
      	div.tech_menu_button {
      		width: 119px; 
      		top: 0px;
      		left: 0px; 
      		border: 1px PaletteBG solid;
            }

div.tech_menu_button_product {
      		width: 119px; 
      		top: 1px;
      		left: 1px; 
      		border: 1px PaletteBG solid;
            }
      I have also included the full code for the sidebar menus:

Code:
      /* Links in Sidebar Menus */

div.tech_menu_button a  {
      	width: 113px; 
      	_width: 140px;
      	color: <actinic:variable name="PaletteBG" />;
      	text-decoration:none;
      	display:block;
      	padding:3px;
      	text-align:left;
      	background-color: <actinic:variable name="Palette2" />;
      	font-size: 11px;
         }

div.tech_menu_button a:visited {
         }

div.tech_menu_button a:active {
      	background-color: <actinic:variable name="Palette3" />;
         }

div.tech_menu_button a:link {
      	background-color: <actinic:variable name="Palette2" />;}

div.tech_menu_button a:hover {
         }

div.tech_menu_button_product a   {
      	width: 104px;
      	_width: 140px;
      	display:block;
      	padding:3px 3px 3px 12px;
      	text-align:left;
      	font-size: <actinic:variable name="StandardFontSize" />;
         }

div.tech_menu_button_product a:visited {
      	background-image:url('theme_arrow.gif');
         }

div.tech_menu_button_product a:active {
         }

div.tech_menu_button_product a:link {
         }

div.tech_menu_button_product a:hover {
         }
      Last edited by KB2; 22-Mar-2010, 04:47 PM. Reason: Updating kb links
      Jules

Comment

Hi,

To get rid of the arrows you need to remove:

Code:
        from each of your div.tech_menu_button_product a:' links. I'm afraid that I can't work out where those odd lines are coming from in your section list. I've tried copying your stylesheet into my software and the extra styles listed in your <head> section but I don't get them in mine so I must be missing something in one of the layouts. Maybe one of the experts can pinpoint it for you.
        Tracey
        SellerDeck

Comment

Julie,

I hide some sections on one of the sites I've built. Whist I didn't use the KB article, the process seems very similar.

However, I created a new blockif a level above the level the KB suggests:

Code:
          <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22ShowSectionInNavBar%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20true">
          	<actinic:variable name="TopLevelSectionLink" />
          Give that a try and it hopefully it will solve the problem. Remember to change the variable name to whatever you created and remove the changes you made to the blockif as suggested by the KB.

Snapshot first for good measure.

Army Gore-tex
          Winter Climbing Mitts
          webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
          Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Thanks Tracey. I removed the arrow code and the menu actually reverted back to the way it should be!

Rich, I have also used your version of code to hide the menus. As with the previous KB fix the sections were hidden but the section borders were still left (see attached). Therefore, I have reverted back to the original idea of changing the border colour to white which makes it invisible as it blends in with the white page background as I can't think of another solution, unless anyone else has any suggestions? However, the menu now looks correct. Thanks for your help.
            Attached Files
            Jules

Comment

LOL, I tried to do some more investigation and ended up with the same problem...

However, if I removed the blockif and applied the changes, then recreated the blockif:

Code:
              <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22ShowSectionInNavBar%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20true">
              	<actinic:variable name="TopLevelSectionLink" />
              It resolved the issue. I think it has something to do with copying the code from the KB and pasting it in, rather than typing it in manually. I think

Army Gore-tex
              Winter Climbing Mitts
              webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
              Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

copying the code from the KB and pasting it in
                The KB is a word document so copy and paste will bring all sorts of crap with it - flush the code through notepad before pasting into actinic

Comment

I think it has something to do with copying the code from the KB and pasting it in, rather than typing it in manually. I think
                  Hi Rich, I've also tried what you mentioned in your last post and it didn't make any difference. I still got the borders! Oh well, I'll just have to be content with hiding the border in the background. It does the job for the time being. Just frustrating trying to work out what's causing it!
                  Jules

Comment

Working...
                  X