SPPP Rename Section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPPP Rename Section

I am using a single product per page setup and have renamed a number of my products in the search for better SEO. The problem is is that the renamed products are in a section with the name of the product before renaming.

Does anyone know of a way of automatically renaming the section the product resides in, maybe with an Access query.
    Unusual Silver Jewellery
    Giftmill - Unusual Gifts
    Crystal Healing Jewellery
    Steampunk Jewellery

I don't really know much about Access querys I'm afraid, but I'll assume that you have an awful lot pages to do, otherwise you'd be making these changes within Actinic?

If you are changing the titles to improve SEO, are you altering the page names too? The .html I mean?

If you are you will have to redirect the already indexed pages to your new ones.

Army Gore-tex
    Winter Climbing Mitts
    webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
    Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

I am changing the lot - Product names, section names, filenames, meta tags, the lot!

I have decided to take the hit on loosing the already indexed pages in the quest to achieve better rankings in the future.
      Unusual Silver Jewellery
      Giftmill - Unusual Gifts
      Steampunk Jewellery

Comment

Originally posted by AndyBorrett View Post
        I am changing the lot - Product names, section names, filenames, meta tags, the lot!

I have decided to take the hit on loosing the already indexed pages in the quest to achieve better rankings in the future.
        Are you mad? Expect little-to-no sales for the next few months.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyBorrett View Post

What if the changes you make have a negative effect?

This does not sound like a good idea at all. Are you certain that the lack of sales are due to people not finding you, or could it be something on the site that's putting people off.

Is it a young site?

Army Gore-tex
          Winter Climbing Mitts
          Twitter LinkedIN

Comment

I am only changing the pages that don't get good results on the search engines. Over 90% of our sales come direct to our site rather than search engines due to word of mouth, none internet advertising and repeat customers so destroying the Google rankings for a while won't be disaterous.
            We've been going for over 5 years so we probably don't count as a young site.
            Unusual Silver Jewellery
            Giftmill - Unusual Gifts
            Steampunk Jewellery

Comment

I have decided to take the hit on loosing the already indexed pages in the quest to achieve better rankings in the future
              Well done - exactly the right thing to be doing IMO. I sure you will succeed

Comment

If you're going to do this it's worth redirecting all the old urls to the new ones.

Mike
                -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

I wasn't planning on doing any redirects for specific pages as I can't see an easy way to do it and as there are around 100 pages I will be changing it seems like too much work.
                  I have put in place a general error message for 404 errors though
                  Unusual Silver Jewellery
                  Giftmill - Unusual Gifts
                  Steampunk Jewellery

Comment

wasn't planning on doing any redirects for specific pages
                    I dont either - let them die away

Comment

I know it may seem like an awful lot of work, but if you pull the info from Access you could well save some time.

I really think you should consider setting up page re-directs so that you SEO efforts start paying off sooner rather than later.

Edit: Although Mal does know more about this area than I do, so perhaps you should take his advice over mine.

Army Gore-tex
                      Winter Climbing Mitts
                      Twitter LinkedIN

Comment

Working...
                      X