Product info to Meta Description

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Product info to Meta Description

In my ongoing SEO mission (which is showing results within a week of making the changes - thanks all) I want to redo the Meta Descriptions.

I am using a SPPP setup so I want to be able to use the short description and a few product level variables to build the Meta Description.

My question is, is it possible to use product level infomation in the meta tags layout. I have tried using several but they just don't seem to work.

Any ideas?

At the moment the only way I can find of doing it is an Access Query but that means runing the query each time I add a new product.
    Unusual Silver Jewellery
    Giftmill - Unusual Gifts
    Crystal Healing Jewellery
    Steampunk Jewellery

I see no reason why not, but you will need to alter the standard code for this area i expect, because actinic will think you have not added one and act accordingly. You have the function of adding these parts first and then the counteraction of the actinic measures to make it work correctly. I suspect you have only attacked one of those two things to do.

Comment

I have tried to alter the standard meta tags layout but it won't let me add, for example, productname.

When I try to upload to the test server I get coding errors telling me that variable productname has been added to standard meta tags but it won't work there.

I presume it is because I am trying to use a product level variable in the outer layer. I have tried both types of file import to import the meta description but that doesn't seem to work either.
      Unusual Silver Jewellery
      Giftmill - Unusual Gifts
      Steampunk Jewellery

Comment

Change the place of setting on the variable to include 'site', that might do it.

Comment

I can change the place of setting for my own variables but not ProductName - it doesn't appear in the library.

If I change the standard meta tags layout to

<meta name="description" content="<actinic:variable name="SilverStone" />" />

then I don't get the coding errors but the variable (SilverStone) is not passed to the meta description. Viewing the source shows

<meta name="keywords" content="None" />
          Unusual Silver Jewellery
          Giftmill - Unusual Gifts
          Steampunk Jewellery

Comment

Andy, there's a blockif around the meta tag:

Code:
            <actinic:block if="%28%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22Section%22%29%20AND%20%28%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22GlbMetaDescription%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22%22%29" >
            	   <meta name="description" content="<actinic:variable name="GlbMetaDescription" />" />
               </actinic:block>
            So if you don't have anything in the Description Variable Field at Section level I assume that Actinic will not load any meta description data.

Have you tried editing the blockif or typing something into the Description Field?

Army Gore-tex
            Winter Climbing Mitts
            webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
            Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

I removed most of content from standard meta tags layout to see if that made a difference - alas not.

This is what I was left with:-

Code:
               <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
                <meta http-equiv="MSThemeCompatible" content="yes" />
              <meta name="description" content="<actinic:variable name="SilverStone" />" />
              Unusual Silver Jewellery
              Giftmill - Unusual Gifts
              Steampunk Jewellery

Comment

Okay,

If I use the "HeaderText" Variable:

Code:
                <meta name="description" content="<actinic:variable name="HeaderText" />" />
                it works in offline preview. Perhaps you could copy the "HeaderText" Variable and use it as a template for your "Silverstone" variable?

Army Gore-tex
                Winter Climbing Mitts
                Twitter LinkedIN

Comment

I must be doing something wrong * starts to pull hair out *

I have tried this and typed some text into the header text layout

Code:
                  <meta name="description" content="<actinic:variable name="HeaderText" />" />
                  Uploaded it and still the meta description os empty

Maybe I need a sleep
                  Unusual Silver Jewellery
                  Giftmill - Unusual Gifts
                  Steampunk Jewellery

Comment

Close down actinic and try again, you'd be amazed what comes right after a re-boot

Army Gore-tex
                    Winter Climbing Mitts
                    Twitter LinkedIN

Comment

Forgot about restarting Actinic - good idea.

That didn't work either - I'll have a rethink and try again tonight

Thanks for trying to help
                      Unusual Silver Jewellery
                      Giftmill - Unusual Gifts
                      Steampunk Jewellery

Comment

Back to your original question:
                        My question is, is it possible to use product level infomation in the meta tags layout. I have tried using several but they just don't seem to work.
                        Actinic needs to see product variables within a Product List and only within a Section page.

The following code respects that and will work in the HEAD of your overall layout:
                        Code:
                        <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22Section%22">
                        	<actinic:block type="ProductList">
                        	  <actinic:variable name="ProductName" />
                        We're only displaying the product name as a demo here.
                        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks for stopping me from getting premature baldness Norman - as ever you've come to the rescue!

This is the final code I used to create my meta descriptions

It basically uses the short description, some user defined variables - some of which are blocked out if they didn't make sense and the price.

Code:
                          <actinic:block type="ProductList">
                          	<actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22ProductName%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22%22">
                          	<meta name="description" content="<actinic:variable name="ProductName" /><actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SilverStyle%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22Bangles%20%26%20Cuffs%22%20AND%20%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SilverStyle%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22Charmed%22%20AND%20%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SilverStyle%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22Collars%22%20AND%20%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SilverStyle%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22Amber%22" > in <actinic:variable name="SilverStyle" /></actinic:block><actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SilverStone%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22None%22"> featuring <actinic:variable name="SilverStone" /></actinic:block><actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SilverStone2%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22None%22" > and <actinic:variable name="SilverStone2" /></actinic:block> priced at £<actinic:variable name="ProductPriceRaw" /> including delivery" />

Thanks for all your help
                          Unusual Silver Jewellery
                          Giftmill - Unusual Gifts
                          Steampunk Jewellery

Comment

You may need an if PageType == "Section" around that lot as the ProductList is only valid within Section pages.

Otherwise, you might gert error messages on other pages.
                            Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                            Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Forgot to add that to the code I pasted but I did add it around the code otherwise like you say, you get the red coding error message popping up.

I've bought a book on Perl that I'm going to try and work through to help me understand code you've given me in the past.
                              Unusual Silver Jewellery
                              Giftmill - Unusual Gifts
                              Steampunk Jewellery

Comment

Working...
                              X