Hierarchic file problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hierarchic file problems

If I extract a hierarchic file from Actinic (V8.5.1 HFUA), then open, edit and save it using Excel 2007, when I try and import it back into Actinic I get the error “No fields were found on the first line of the file”.

This doesn’t happen if I use Excel 2000.

There is a listing in the Actinic Knowledge Base that refers to this but just says to use an older version of Excel than 2007:
    http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=44781

Does anyone know of an Excel fix or why this happens, as I would prefer not to have to keep the old Excel around, not to mention the inconvenience of moving to another computer, copying, transferring etc etc.
    Last edited by KB2; 22-Mar-2010, 04:02 PM. Reason: Updating kb link
    Kind Regards
    Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

I add a dummy column to the end of the header sections, populate the column with some rubbish then and don't link it the mapping - that forces Excel to add the commas in.

Otherwise use CSVed avilable for free on the net.

Comment

Thanks very much Duncan - we'll give that a spin
      Kind Regards
      Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

csv'd

I tried using csv'd .........and still get the same message as discused above ? Any suggestions ?

thx

Comment

Assuming you've never saved the file with Excel, open it file in CSVed and check the first row. If you're not sure if it's correct then post that first line here.

If you only see 4 columns in CSVed then there is a simple work around to force CSved to show all the rows. Say so and I can post some notes about that.

PS - you are posting in two threads - do you have two different problems?

Comment

Getting csv'd

Thanks for the quick response; don't mean to post in two threads - I apprediated your pointer in the other thread to csv'd........which got me this far ! I was trying to research myself rather than depend on others, and saaw this thread that was relevant to my difficulty.
            Anyway - thanks for any help on any thread !

The header (first row) that I have are as follows :

Header:ContentCategories,Name,Content Level,Sequence,Default

Comment

OK simpley add lots of commas onto the end of that line (row) to make it as long or longer than the longest row in the export. You can also add a dummy field at the end.

The longest row will normally be the Header:Product row. Open the file in excel and take a look at how many you will need.

So the first row in CSVed will be something like this:
              Header:ContentCategories,Name,Content Level,Sequence,Default,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,etc,,,,,,,,dummy

That will force CSVed to see all the columns.

Comment

csv'd

ok, understand. I will try it later (after I have done a backup !)

Thanks for all your help and quick response(s)...........I will let you know how it goes.

I know it's a bit of a dumb question - but is there an easy way to edit that particular field (cell) in csv'd ? Do I just go into the edit record and for that column add about a million commas ending with a "dummy" ?
                (# of commas >= to length of field in other headers, not really a million, buut close !)

Comment

I actually use Notepad++ (free) to add the commas and only use CSVed to edit very large files that are too big for excel. It doesn't matter how you add them, you can even use windows Notepad.

You will probably need about >80 columns in total plus the number of product scoped variables you have configured in Actinic.

Comment

csv'd

Originally posted by drounding View Post
                    I actually use Notepad++ (free) to add the commas and only use CSVed to edit very large files that are too big for excel. It doesn't matter how you add them, you can even use windows Notepad.

You will probably need about >80 columns in total plus the number of product scoped variables you have configured in Actinic.
                    sorry to be a pain; but I tried as you suggested, and I seemed to run into a column limiter in CSV'd.
                    I tried to "outrun" the product row with commas in the header, but after a while, it seemed like CSV'd would not accept them.
                    ie I added them in edit mode on the field, saved them back to csv'd - but when I checked the width then in excel, it wasn't extended from the prior (about 100 commas less) attempt.
                    Does that make sense ?

Comment

Open both your file and the attached file in Notepad. Replace the first line in your file with the first line in that attached file. Save the file using notepad and then open it in CSVed.

Note - If you are using product scoped variables then you may have to add some more commas - using Notepad first.

If you still don't get it right then PM me and I'll give me an email address to send your zipped up export file and I'll take a quick look.
                      Attached Files

Comment

csv'd

Thanks (again) for yet another helpful suggestion.

I will try as you suggest. When I looked at your file, I had expected to see the first header row have commas all the way (ending in dummy) to the furthest point that is populated in subsequent header rows.
                        Am I misunderstanding something ?

Comment

The extra commas need to be added to the end of the existing first header line, not on a new line by themselves. If you make a new line of commas then Actinic will return an error: “No fields were found on the first line of the file”.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding View Post
                            The extra commas need to be added to the end of the existing first header line, not on a new line by themselves. If you make a new line of commas then Actinic will return an error: “No fields were found on the first line of the file”.
                            sorry - had to send you a pm !

Comment

And I replied but where is your file?

Comment

Working...
                              X