HTTP Errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HTTP Errors

Recently Google has started generating warnings on my sitemap. It comes up with HTTP: Error 200 (Success) and tells me: 'When we tested a sample of URLs from your Sitemap, we found that some URLs redirect to other locations. We recommend that your Sitemap contain URLs that point to the final destination (the redirect target) instead of redirecting to another URL'.
    I can't for the life in me find what is wrong. Has anyone got any ideas?
    Thanks
    David

Do you have any redirects happening in your <head> section of any HTML page or any redirects in your .htaccess file, which can be found in the root of your server?

Comment

I can't see anything untoward in the <head> (as long as I am looking in the right place!)
      Where do I find the htaccess file?
      David

Comment

what is your websites url? and I will have a look for you, I rencetly noticed that actinic actually generates its own redirects on certain templates, such as the side menu takes you to the cgi bin then takes you to the product page
        Kind Regards,
        Simon

sigpic

Comment

I rencetly noticed that actinic actually generates its own redirects on certain templates, such as the side menu takes you to the cgi bin then takes you to the product page
          They have always done this - change to toplevelsection if you want html links

Comment

Thanks Simon
            The url is: www.blokesbags.co.uk

David

Comment

also what site map generater are you using is it GSiteCrawler?
              Kind Regards,
              Simon

sigpic

Comment

Key Lime Tie site generator

Comment

ok if you click this link http://www.blokesbags.co.uk/cgi-bin/...html&NOLOGIN=1 it redirects you from the cgi bin make sure your site map isnt pointing to a url like this, because actinic generates redirects like this and some sitemaps make the mistake of picking these up id suggest trying GsiteCrawler it always seems to work for me
                  Kind Regards,
                  Simon

sigpic

Comment

Don't bother playing around with site maps just yet. Get those cgi-bin URL's out of the site layouts and then worry about getting the site map right.

Comment

Originally posted by grantglendinnin View Post
                      Don't bother playing around with site maps just yet. Get those cgi-bin URL's out of the site layouts and then worry about getting the site map right.
                      I agree, I would do what ruralweb said and change it to toplevelsection im sure that should fix it, however them cgi pages will still exsist so the site map will still be picking them up
                      Kind Regards,
                      Simon

sigpic

Comment

I would not bother with a sitemap full stop - they are not needed by actinic websites. Usually used by scam seo companies these days to give an impression they are doing something

Comment

Technialy they are doing somthing as it helps with the seo, as it shows google what pages are there instead of having to go hunting for them, it just helps google index and pick up your page easier
                          Kind Regards,
                          Simon

sigpic

Comment

Technialy they are doing somthing as it helps with the seo
                            I dissagree - they were designed by google for use with database driven websites which googlebot could not index - Actinic sites are very different and dont need sitemaps. If you hunt about you will find instances of sites being trashed by using sitemaps - I never use them and have many happy clients!

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb View Post
                              If you hunt about you will find instances of sites being trashed by using sitemaps
                              Will do
                              Kind Regards,
                              Simon

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X