Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Designer V9 and Client V8

Hi,

Just wondering how I deal with this - does my client need to upgrade his software, or do I need to keep both versions on my machine?

I cant seem to find any upgrade path for the client on the Actinic site...

Thanks in advance
    Hertfordshire web design
    UK Web Hosting

I don't belive there is an upgrade path for Client software. You will have to keep both versions of Designer on your computer or sell v9 Client to your customer.

Comment

I cant seem to find any upgrade path for the client
      Yes there is - they need to buy Client V9

Comment

I don't belive there is an upgrade path for Client software
        i still don't understand why this is so, its very bad news unless you are aware of it before going down the client route.

I won't touch it with a barge pole now. The best route for a designer is to go back to where we were in v6 days, ie create a site in a copy of catalog or business bought for the client.

Initially designers were encouraged to buy developer (at a huge cost) (developer allowed you to both develop and run multiple shops on one pc - really for multipe shop owners and not designers) In v8 "designer" was introduced with its partner "client", this then gave a cheaper option to a designer to design in but the payoff is expensive for a "client" client who wants to upgrade.

I've had several unhappy conversations with clients with client who were disgrunted.

one had to pay for client catalog, then pay for client business and will have to pay again for full business. (we need business not for the design side but for some of the silly things that are excluded from client)

Comment

The cost savings with client are significant if a site owner does not want the design bits after having a custom build or want long term support eg Ive just bought business client today at a saving of £300 over the full version.

I think its a good option but obviously not suitable for all - I think I have a 50% split of clients running the full software over client

Comment

I have 0 clients on client, designer schmesigner, it doesn't bloody work properly lol!

Comment

it doesn't bloody work properly
              Correct but its cheaper and for many people that is a plus - it also stops people playing with things they no nothing about and for some clients that is a BIG plus for me

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb View Post
                Correct but its cheaper and for many people that is a plus - it also stops people playing with things they no nothing about and for some clients that is a BIG plus for me
                Hmm keep talking, you're selling it to me .

Comment

I agree Designer is of little real use but I do find it usefull for some sites although its not really what it says on the tin

Comment

hmm, ok, so to sum up...

I have a redundant copt of V9 Designer until I have a client who is willing to buy a version 9 client (price on site is POA - anyone know what it costs?

or

I continue to look after his site in V8

I agree Designer is of little real use but I do find it usefull for some sites although its not really what it says on the tin
                    Am I missing somthing by using designer or is it identical to..?

Looking through the site it really is both unclear and confusing as to which way is the best for a new purchaser to go...

Thanks
                    Hertfordshire web design
                    UK Web Hosting

Comment

Working...
                    X