Can't open database file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't open database file

Earlier today when we came back to the office on starting up Actrinic v9.03 we got the following message:

Actinic failed to open the database DSN=ActinicCatalog9.
    The database may be corrupt or the version may be newer than expected.
    This prevents Actinic working.

The error was:

Not a valid password.
    Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed

Please refer to the troubleshooting section in the MU Installation and User guide for possible solutions.

We attempted to use the Mole-end repair tool but withour success. We contacted Actinic Support who ran us through a number of options all of which failed to rectify.

They then advised a re-install of Actinic which we have done on all machines. We didn't have a recent snapshot so had to do a copy site one folder and after having done the re-install we have copied the contents back only to be greeted with the same message.

I can only assume that it must be the .mdb file - which we can open in access still.

Can anyone suggest any other ideas - please.

Many thanks

Rob
    Rob
    For all your car, motorcycle and marine care, cleaning and detailing products.

Have you tried repairing the database in Access?

Army Gore-tex
    Winter Climbing Mitts
    webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
    Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

You haven't said what other options Actinic support ran through with you so I could be suggesting something you've already done.

Have you tried renaming the .mdb and using one of the previous ones instead? either backup.mdb or previous.mdb (or both)

Presumably, if the .mdb is at fault, the previous.mdb should be a better bet as it is, in theory, a working copy?
      Tracey

Comment

Yes have tried repair in access as well. Unfortunatley when I repaired in access I managed to use the same backup name as my .mdb backup file so overwrote the backup file, I think, as I have tried to do the name changes as well with no effect.

Actinic just asked me to open the files from the Run Command and from access and when that didn't work advised me to re-install completely.

I am praying there is a solution.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Rob
        Rob

Comment

What about previous.mdb as Tracey mentioned?

Army Gore-tex
          Winter Climbing Mitts
          Twitter LinkedIN

Comment

what is previous.mdb?

Rob
            Rob

Comment

I can't find a previous.mdb in the site1 folder that I copied earlier. Will the re-install actinic support advised me to do have removed the previous.mdb?

Rob
              Rob

Comment

you stored a copy of the site1 folder somewhere safe before reinstalling, I assume?
                And you can't find a previous.mdb in that?
                Tracey

Comment

Yep - stored copy of site1 folder but no previous.mdb in it.

Rob
                  Rob

Comment

It does sound like a corrupt database to me, as the usual options have failed, it might be worth contacting support again and asking them to take a look at your database.

Regards,
                    Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
                    Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
                    A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                    Product Mash for Sellerdeck
                    Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                    Multichannel order processing
                    Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Thanks Jan - a glimmer of hope - I hope so as I have just looked at the backup files on the server and for whatever reason the last dated file is 7/2 - so I also need to get that looked at as well. They say things come in three's - I hope not!

Thanks everyone for your input.

Rob
                      Rob

Comment

I've just noticed something which might (or might not) be relevant. When opening the .mdb file in access it immediate asks me for the database password for it will open - which I can't recall it ever doing before. I also note the error message references the term "password" - could this be linked - is there a way or removing the password from within access?

Rob
                        Rob

Comment

BINGO - just had a look at access and saw that there is a Security settings option - clicking on that it has an Unset Password option. Needs to have the database as being Open Exclusive which I went back and did - it then allowed me to unset the Administrator password that had somehow attached to it and hey presto I can now open up the file.

Now to take an immediate snapshot and store safely - and then next door to the pub for a celebratory drink (or two)

Once again many many thanks for everyones input.

Rob
                          Rob

Comment

Glad you got it sorted. Remember to snapshot too often rather than not often enough.

I take on every 15-20 mins when making a lot of changes...

Army Gore-tex
                            Winter Climbing Mitts
                            Twitter LinkedIN

Comment

Working...
                            X