Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

setting delivery location at site entry

Hi Guys 'n' Gals,

If your site has any pages with order quantity on the product page (rather than in the cart page), you can't use the 'early location' option for calculating postage. So the shopper has to check out to find out postage (an old bone of contention I know). Anyway, lets assume all is fine and your customer is happy, goes through the system, orders, completes etc

THEN

If that shopper returns a few days later, the new cart remembers the shoppers location (from the cookie set last time i presume) and thus postage prices are happily calculated.

SO

I therefore assume you could technically set a cookie for a new customer upon site entry that contains location info either using a default of UK (or whatever) or via some JS code or whatever, that prompts for a location and thus sets it there and then. Thus the postal prices would be sorted from as if the user was a previous cutomer with a cookie already set.

If you need the whole of the customer info in the cookie, then does that present a problem? Can you put blanks in for each item? If not, you COULD pre-fill these fields with data such as 'Enter Your Name' or 'Enter your Delivery Address' or whatever.

Failing that...

What about changing the cart bounce page to a page that needs the customer to 'ok' it where we can also add the 'what country' question.

OR..... perhaps I could just turn the quantity in page setting off. But i don't want to do that!

has anyone looked into this kind of thing, as I cant find any relevant posts on the subject.

I am going to do some work on this myself, but I'm not really a programmer (does a 10 year old A level in computing count?) plus I've got a real job and a 2 year old to entertain, so it may take a while. Any pointers welcome - such as knowledge of what bits of Actinic checks, sets and writes cookies....

your thoughts appreciated.......
    Last edited by Andy Warner; 20-Mar-2009, 09:37 PM. Reason: added an option
    Andy Warner

www.legendgames.co.uk - rpgs, boardgames, dice and other geeky stuff
    www.RPGMiniatures.com D&D and Star Wars Miniatures

Both running the Cart from Search Page hack

Also www.mainlymurder.co.uk www.thegamesplace.co.uk and www.thediceplace.co.uk

All running V8.5.2 Multisite on a windows 7 quad PC, augmented by Mole End automation, from a single shared database, using actinic specific hosting from Host-IT.

come on folks! Norman, Gabriel, and all you other coding hot-shots.... where are you!
    Andy Warner

www.legendgames.co.uk - rpgs, boardgames, dice and other geeky stuff
    www.RPGMiniatures.com D&D and Star Wars Miniatures

Both running the Cart from Search Page hack

Also www.mainlymurder.co.uk www.thegamesplace.co.uk and www.thediceplace.co.uk

All running V8.5.2 Multisite on a windows 7 quad PC, augmented by Mole End automation, from a single shared database, using actinic specific hosting from Host-IT.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Warner View Post
      come on folks! Norman, Gabriel, and all you other coding hot-shots.... where are you!
      I would say if you want to ask them, better to email them directly.
      Norman, for one, won't reply here as he has left the forum (and who can blame him )
      Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Warner View Post
        Please see this post and the controversy surrounding it

Comment

Working...
        X