Coupon problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coupon problem

I have created a coupon that's giving a percentage off, uploaded it, and it all works eexcept for the following. In the Misc box I ticked for the coupon code box to appear on all 3 options, ie product pages, view cart page and checkout page.

If you enter the coupon code in the product page or the view cart page the discount is applied, but when you go to the checkout the discount has been removed. You can re enter the code on the checkout page and the discount is re applied. Not quite what's meant to happen.

You can try in out for yourselves on the Barleans EPA product at fermain.com coupon, 'fermain'. Any thoughts why this isn't working properly.

Regards
    Martin

I used the coupon code on the product page and it was maintained through to the checkout ok. Did you fix it? Or perhaps you need to clear your cookies.

Comment

It might be because you mix and match fermain.com and www.fermain.com. Note how the mini cart doesn't work when you go to fermain.com as your checkout (and cookies) are at www.fermain.com.

You need to pick one and stick with it. Most people use www. and then redirect any non-www. visitors.

Mike

Edit: I think Duncan must live in some timezone that's a minute ahead of mine.
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot View Post
        ...I think Duncan must live in some timezone that's a minute ahead of mine.
        No I'm just closer to the server.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Mike - I may be a bit thick but I'm lost what you're talking about, but I do want to learn!

Regards
          martin

Comment

Check in your network settings to see if some reference settings are prefixed with www and some not.

PS Mike will be along in a minute. LOL

Comment

Thanks Duncan, do you live strapped to your machine?

Comment

As far as I can see they are all www.fermain etc

Comment

I am the machine.

Comment

Mike - I may be a bit thick but I'm lost what you're talking about, but I do want to learn!
                    OK. One more time.

Lets say your domain name is fermain.com, usually the website would be placed on the www. sub-domain i.e. www.fermain.com where www stands for World Wide Web.

Other common subdomains are ftp.fermain.com (for ftp), mail.fermain.com (for email) and you can create your own subdomains for whatever use you want, such as blog.fermain.com, etc.

The key thing to note is that www.fermain.com and fermain.com are not the same thing. The first one is a sub-domain of the second.

You can try in out for yourselves on the Barleans EPA product at fermain.com
                    So when you type stuff like the above, or put 'Fermain.com' in the logo on your website, then you are not directing people to the right place.

Most webservers will do their best to help you by displaying the webpages if you forget the www. bit. The trouble for visitors is that if they're viewing the webpages at fermain.com but checkout is at www.fermain.com then the cart/session cookies will not be accessable on both domains for security reasons.

You can see this by following this link: http://fermain.com

Google, etc also know that the domains are different and will see the same content in two different places. They're usually smart enough to know what's going on nowadays, but this will still cause you issues you don't want.

The solution to this problem is:

1. Never promote the domain name without www.

2. Redirect any non-www. traffic to your www. domain. You need to setup a htaccess file - The details are on this forum.

3. Tell Google in webmaster tools what your preferred website location is.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot View Post
                      OK. One more time.

Lets say...................

.....................your preferred website location is.

Mike
                      Top marks for best behaviour.

In the light of recent events, I recommend this post for an award.

I don't quite understand goat points - is there a category for this contender?
                      Paul
                      Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

Working...
                      X