Uploaded version different from offline preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uploaded version different from offline preview

Hey I have spent an hour trying to work this out I have uploaded for the first time my shop and the custom design is completely broken, all the html code has been squashed beyond human comprehension and all the custom links have been destroyed (so /images/header/logo.jpg becomes just logo.jpg)

This all works when I do Web >> Offline Preview but as soon as it is uploaded to the sever its completely broken.

Help please, I have searched and got nothing.
    Regards,
    Simon Dann Ba Hons, MA.

"The markings of a great platform is it not forcing its users to hack around it, but to progress logically through it" - Anon

What's the URL and what Browser are you using? Have you tried a full refresh?

Army Gore-tex
    Winter Climbing Mitts
    webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
    Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Originally posted by webD View Post
      What's the URL and what Browser are you using? Have you tried a full refresh?
      www.kentpaint.co.uk is the url, im previewing in both firefox and ie, by full refresh do you mean help >> troubleshooting >> website purge and refresh

ive been programming for almost a decade so experience tells me its going to be a really small thing i have overlooked which has broken it.
      Regards,
      Simon Dann Ba Hons, MA.

"The markings of a great platform is it not forcing its users to hack around it, but to progress logically through it" - Anon

Comment

FYI

To sort out the html goto design --> design options --> and untick compact html/cgi
        That will keep the code in some sort of readable fashion.

The images when uploaded to the server all go into acatalog folder. So when you start to put images in folders on your pc, this layout is scrapped when uploaded.
        "If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions"

Comment

for some reason the style sheet isn't being used.
          And when i try to bring it up using the url declared in the header its not there

Comment

Do you have the css file in a subfolder on your PC?

Comment

Originally posted by chunkesolutions View Post
              Do you have the css file in a subfolder on your PC?
              yes in the actinic/sites/kent paint/css folder

what i dont understand is why it breaks when uploaded and not when previewed.

edit: im currently doing full purge and refresh
              Regards,
              Simon Dann Ba Hons, MA.

Comment

Try moving the css file to the root (kent paint) folder, and rename the href to point to the new location. upload and see of that sorts it out.

When you preview the site, actinic uses the paths that you have created. When you upload, actinic changes the paths to use the acatalog folder. Your acatalog folder on your server will contain all the images, html, css, javascript that is used on the site. The only file not to be in there is the index.html file.

Comment

Also, when for things like JavaScript that isn't use inside of actinic you will need to instruct actinic to upload files (e.g. images that the JavaScript is referencing in the code) manually using, design --> additional files.

Comment

Originally posted by chunkesolutions View Post
                    Try moving the css file to the root (kent paint) folder, and rename the href to point to the new location. upload and see of that sorts it out.

When you preview the site, actinic uses the paths that you have created. When you upload, actinic changes the paths to use the acatalog folder. Your acatalog folder on your server will contain all the images, html, css, javascript that is used on the site. The only file not to be in there is the index.html file.
                    I shall try that once this purge and refresh is complete. I remembered that a month ago I uploaded the site to test the network settings then deleted what was uploaded from the server. Possibly some form of sync problem has arisen with it using old template files instead of the new ones...

One thing I really dont like about actinic is its defiant relocation of files, from a semantic point of view its best to have images in folders, organised by type and css in its own folder, js in its own folder, etc. From a designers point of view this makes things a lot easier. Actinic has a long way to go with its use of standadised semantics something many of my clients demand, looks like i may have to persuade them because the application is otherwise pretty good.
                    Regards,
                    Simon Dann Ba Hons, MA.

Comment

True, a tidy system is a happy system

You could of you wanted to try to use the additional file option, and point to the css file in there. At least then you could keep some form of sanity on the PC.
                      I'm sure there is a reason why actinic dumps everything in 1 folder on the server. Probably to stop duplicates, who knows

Comment

You haven't referenced your actinic.css stylesheet. ATM you're only pulling info from your styles.css.

Army Gore-tex
                        Winter Climbing Mitts
                        webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
                        Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Originally posted by webD View Post
                          You haven't referenced your actinic.css stylesheet. ATM you're only pulling info from your styles.css.
                          thats because i use my own style sheet.

It looks like it is mostly fixed now, just need to modify some of the other image locations.

one note that could be useful, as soon as I moved all my custom js and css files into the C:\Program Files\Actinic\Sites\Kent Paint folder it uploaded them automatically without needing told via design >> additonal files infact when I did that it caused further errors of duplicate files.

are there any if cases within actinic for telling if the page is a certain page type? for those tabs at the top i want it to change depending on what part of the shop the visitor is on.
                          Regards,
                          Simon Dann Ba Hons, MA.

Comment

you need to look up blockif's (those nice bits of green text)

Comment

Yes, you can check the page type, page title, page name for example.

When you add a variable just type 'page' and you will see them.

Comment

Working...
                              X