Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to set up a SSL certificate for website

Hi All

I am setting up Paypal Standard payment and then might try HSBC e secure payment or Protx. I've been testing my site. When choose Paypal, go to a https Paypal site which I assume is very secure.

But we have experience with other e-commerce websites, lots of customers would like see the padlock when they enter their name and address details. The lack of padlock is bothering them so much that they feel their information is not being collected within a very secure environment. So I am guessing It's better to have our own SSL certificate that covers all shopping basket pages, checkout pages(except paypal https ) and login pages.

However, I have no idea how to set up a SSL certificate for a e-commerce website. I would appreciate it if there is anyone could let me know the steps. Which company do you think offers good SSL service?

Many thanks

Have a search through the help file in the Actinic software and the knowledge base (top right of this page). It's full of information
    "If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions"

Comment

Originally posted by chunkesolutions View Post
      Have a search through the help file in the Actinic software and the knowledge base (top right of this page). It's full of information
      I have searched and read files regarding to SSL in knowledge base before posting this tread, sorry might be a bit silly but I have not got any answers to teach me from choosing a SSL certificate to setting it up for website. I will search again

Comment

The easiest way to do this is:

1. Ask your hosts to get you an SSL certificate (make sure you specify www. in front of your domain name as this is the norm for websites).

2. Turn on SSL in actinic. Tick the box that says 'Checkout pages and customer accounts only'.

Mike
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

you need to contact your host, ssl require unique ip address and the ssl which most hosting companies will provide.

Comment

It might be better to ask your hosting if they can offer this as per this article in the KB
            http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=45149

This would be a good place to start.
            Last edited by KB2; 22-Mar-2010, 02:41 PM. Reason: Updating kb links
            "If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions"

Comment

Thank you very much for all suggestions.

I just asked my host provider. They work in partnership with Global Sign, but they said they also support any other major Certificate Authorities. I am not sure if it's better to use the service provided by my hosting company to save on any potential configuration issues. I googled the Certificate Authorities. It seems that Thawte and VeriSignare are very famous brands.

Which certificate Authority is better? Why? Is there anyone could give me any advice?

If I purchase one from an external CA (not from my hosting company), do I need to tell all information to my host provider for configuration? Or I just need to turn on in Actinic?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

if you can get a cert from either

thwate
                verisign
                comodo
                geotrust

they are all fine and recognised global brands - IMO i'd alway go for your own cert rather than a shared cert.

if you choose to buy your own you will need to ask your host how you install it - thus it is easier to simply ask your host to install. No you cant buy one and then turn it on in actinic - it needs to be installed.

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook View Post
                  if you can get a cert from either

thwate
                  verisign
                  comodo
                  geotrust

they are all fine and recognised global brands - IMO i'd alway go for your own cert rather than a shared cert.

if you choose to buy your own you will need to ask your host how you install it - thus it is easier to simply ask your host to install. No you cant buy one and then turn it on in actinic - it needs to be installed.
                  Thank you, Jo.
                  I am downloading Thawte trial SSL123 certificate to experience the installation process.

I've got a message from Thawte "

Before you get started:

You will need to generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) and private key pair off your web server. "

What does it mean? I don't understand at all. Do I need to get a CSR and private key from my host provider? No idea!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Selina

Ask your host to install it if you do not understand.

you will need to have a dedicated IP for you domain name, before you even think about installing an ssl.

CSR is a certificate signing request, this is generated through you control panel

its not a case of buy an ssl cert and turn it on

Comment

You will need to generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) and private key pair off your web server. "

What does it mean? I don't understand at all. Do I need to get a CSR and private key from my host provider? No idea!!
                      some hosting companies will allow you to generate the CSR via your hosting control panel - you would do this and then send it to Thwate, comodo etc.

However in your case you really needto ask your host to do it for you. If you dont do it properly you will end up with all sorts of error messages which will have the reverse effect of creating a secure environemt.

Step One - ask your host to install SSL on www.yourdomain.co.uk
                      Step Two - upload Actinic with SSL ticked on Payment ans Security tab
                      Step Three - there isn't one - its that simple

Comment

Tip: If you have any non-secure items on your checkout pages (images or links to external pages etc), remember to use blocks to hide them on the relevant pages. The warning message can be a pain!

Comment

Working...
                        X