Supply multiple quantities of single product as product options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supply multiple quantities of single product as product options

Working on a site where they want to potentially give the user the option to add additional items when buying a product.

An example of this works on a site (non-Actinic) can be found here: http://www.gadgetshack.com/widralwimose.html

You should see that the user can add additional sensors or receivers and also choose how many additional ones they want.

I'm trying to achieve the same thing using the Product options/components. Each additional item would need to be linked to one existing product within the store, but with a variety of quantities (as per that example site).

So I would have a drop-down box for Additional PIR Sensors with options like:
    Add one extra: £10
    Add two extra: £20
    Add three extra: £30
    Add four extra: £40
    etc

Is this possible to do?
    Web . Design . Multimedia . Branding

Because the quantity of components is directly linked to the number of main products purchased, the cart display could get confusing without script changes to alter the display. I'd therefore favour custom product layouts, where you actually have 3 products on the same page, use single add to cart button, and have the options in a kind of table or matrix below the main product (custom layouts), where separate quantities can be chosen on the extras. Quantity based pricing could deal with any reductions by volume.

If you don't fancy that then normal permutations should be possible, what are you finding as the stumbling block?

Comment

I see what you are saying (I think), but I would like to stick with the layout like that example site, so using the components ideally.

Where I'm getting stuck is that you can't seem to add a quantity for each permutation.

Basically the drop-down of additional options is just one product, but each item would be a different quantity and its respective cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Richardpixel View Post
        Where I'm getting stuck is that you can't seem to add a quantity for each permutation.

Basically the drop-down of additional options is just one product, but each item would be a different quantity and its respective cost.
        The quantity is irrelevant really, you'd include the quantity in the product name not on the component settings as such. The price is all that matters realistically, which you set using permutations.

Comment

Okay, that makes sense.

Think I was just going too far in that I was linking the permutation to the existing product and thinking that I should also be saying the quantity, but now I will just add the prices manually and put the quantity in the choice/permutation.

Cheers.

Comment

Think I have come across the issue you were saying earlier Lee. The options look fine on the product page, but when you add them to the basket it obviously puts the relevant component price on, but only 1 in quantity, as you'd expect I guess.

This is confusing and won't work with stock control either... grrrr.

You can view a preview page here: http://www.pixelcreation.co.uk/clien...rt_System.html

Comment

Yeah, that's the issue i meant, which is why i favour the other route even though it's considerable more work. It's a direct purchase of the product, it's a separate orderline in the cart, you can do volume discounts if required and stock monitoring will still work. All 4 points make it the better route to take IMO. The way a component quantity is intrinsically linked to the product quantity is what hamstrings your options.

Comment

Completely see what you mean from before now Lee.

Think I'll have to discuss this with the client and se how important it is.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                X