Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will trial version 9 overwrite my current version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will trial version 9 overwrite my current version?

Hello Folks,

I'd like to have a look at version 9, and am currently using version 7 on a live store. My worry is that the trial version will overwrite my existing files. Just wondering if this is the case?

Also, does version 9 have the same Network settings options under the Advanced tab, or does it require any additional info?

Many thanks,

Myles
    www.magicalwonders.com

Installing v9 on your compeuter will not affect your v7 installation - when installing select to install stand alone and not to upgrade.

The network settings can be exported from v7 and imported to v9, although there are some additional settings which will be left at default. Beware not to upload the v9 site to the same location as v7 on the server however as this will overwrite your online store - rather upload to a subdomain or another server for testing.

Comment

Thanks Duncan,

I appreciate the advice.

Best wishes,

Myles
      www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

You can also put V9 into test mode and upload a test site to your server that will not overwrite your main site. It's a nice feature.

Regards,
        Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
        Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
        A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
        Product Mash for Sellerdeck
        Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
        Multichannel order processing
        Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Thanks Jan,

That's good to know. Version 9 looks very different to my current version 7. Would an upgrade overwrite my existing design? It took me months to complete the design I'm now using. I wouldn't have the patience or time to start again!

Many thanks,

Myles
          www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

if you have snapshot backups you can put your mind at rest re overwriting stuff.

when using test mode the website is uploaded to yourwebsite.co.uk/acatalog/test/acatalog

the location is completely separate to the live site. Put your site into test mode and go look at the networksettings to see the differences

Comment

If you upgrade your site when you install Actinic, your new V9 site will contain an upgraded version of your V7 site and so will contain your design, your V7 template mods will be converted to V9 layouts though.

It's usually recommended though that when you move from V7 to V9 that you reimplement your design to get the most efficient code possible, upgraded sites should work ok however they might not be quite as efficient as they could be.

Regards,
              Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
              Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
              A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
              Product Mash for Sellerdeck
              Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
              Multichannel order processing
              Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

You can test the upgrade by importing your v7 snapshot into v9. The Actinic Upgrader would then go ahead and do it's work. The results can vary from good to bad depending on your design and level of customisation. Looking at your current site I would expect it to go well but you would probably have some tweaking do to afterwards non-the-less.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback folks,

I imported my current snapshot and uploaded to the test area. Not too bad but it looks like I would have a fair bit of learning and tweaking to do. Going to leave this until I have plenty of spare time.

Many thanks,

Myles
                  www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Working...
                  X