Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installation on 2 machines (Actinic Business)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation on 2 machines (Actinic Business)

Hi

I want to use 1 machine to make changes and upload our catalog and another to retreive orders.

Both machines are in the same office and on the same network.
    I know how to set this up by giving one machine catalog maintenance and the other order download, but as both machines hold their databases in local folders c:\documents and settings\etc surely they will be out of synchronisation. Will I have to install the snapshot from the catalog maintenance to the order processing machine each time I change and upload the site?

macke

You will need to synch them yes unless you go multi user.

Comment

we use this exact same process, we actually have actinic shared between 5 machines we have it sitting on the server and then it is synced to our machines. however to do this we use multi user, have you got a multi user version of actinic or just a single user?
      www.simonstaton.co.uk

Comment

no we are single user

Comment

Hi

I have set 1 machine to order process and the other to catalog maintenance.

After synchronisation it resets the order processing machine to catalog maintenance, obviously overwriting the business settings. That means everytime I sync I have to change the settings.

That doesn't make sense

macke

Comment

I am completly lost on this one sorry, but I would highly suggest going multi user if you are going to use actinic this way. it helps alot
            www.simonstaton.co.uk

Comment

Hi

I want to use 1 machine to make changes and upload our catalog and another to retreive orders.

Both machines are in the same office and on the same network.
              I know how to set this up by giving one machine catalog maintenance and the other order download, but as both machines hold their databases in local folders c:\documents and settings\etc surely they will be out of synchronisation. Will I have to install the snapshot from the catalog maintenance to the order processing machine each time I change and upload the site?

macke
              One of my clients does this.

All we do is once a month, take a snapshot from the maintentance PC and import it to the orders pc (without overwriting orders) we then take a snapshot from the result and put it back on maintentance pc.

Both machines do not need to be in sync all the time. We only do this so we can update also boughts on maintenance machine. We only upload from maintenance and download from orders.

The orders machine does not need to be up to date with products

Comment

Hi

Thank you for that.

It now makes a little more sense

macke

Comment

What if you used something like Memeo AutoSync? We use it for accounts across the network. I'm pretty sure you could use it for the Site 1 folder.
                  Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Thank you

I will give that a try.

macke

Comment

If you synced your computers to the upload computer would you not keep loosing the sold data etc as the update computer would not have any downloaded or processed orders

Far simpler to just take a snapshot every week of the Update computer and import it into the other computer with out update orders
                      Chris Ashdown

Comment

I have multi user (2 users)

Main machine has sites in a shared folder.

The second pc (different License Number) points to the share folder through a mapped drive (as suggested in the install guide). The main PC works fine, but the second PC will work sometimes, other times it will just lock after entering the password. Then I have to re-install on the second pc to get it to connect again ...

Mcafee total protection allows application on both
                        windows firewall off on both.
                        Austin Harvey
                        Girls Of Elegance Ltd
                        http://www.girlsofelegance.co.uk

Comment

Just to clarify, the v9 product providing multi-user capabilities is called "Business Plus" and also has multi-site capabilities.

As has been intimated, this can also be accomplished with a single user license, but it's more clunky.

Chris

Comment

I have business plus,

You mean it can be more clunky !! ??

At the moment, it only works occasionally anyway, I'm sure someone mentioned somewhere about a support person who deals with multi user problems ??

Can anyone help ?
                            Austin Harvey
                            Girls Of Elegance Ltd
                            http://www.girlsofelegance.co.uk

Comment

As has been intimated, this can also be accomplished with a single user license, but it's more clunky.
                              i think Chris is refering to splitting maintenance/orders across 2 machines using single user catalog/business rather than saying business plus is clunky.

i've used single user for years across 2 machines and never had an issue. Prior to v8 and also boughts there was never a reason to bring the 2 back together.

Stock control is another matter of course.

its horses for courses

Comment

Working...
                              X