bookmark page to sidebar :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bookmark page to sidebar :D

OK basicly im trying to make it so that the customer can bookmark a product or page and instead of it bookmarking it to there pc it bookmarks it to the websites menu on the side,

I was wondering if anyone knows any kind of script that could do this? I have been playing around with cookies where when the user clicks save this page it gets the url with (+document.URL) then writes it to the sidebar and saves the URL as a cookie maybe. so that if they close the browser next time they visit the site itll still have your saved page in the sidebar
    www.simonstaton.co.uk

Very futuristic thinking, i like it, come back in 5-10 years time though when the pipe dream materialises.

Comment

ok , I have been playing with some code and so far I have managed to display a bookmarked page in the sidebar which links to the current url that you are on example here:
      http://www.actinictesting.co.uk/index.html

now ive just got to set the cookie to save that current url and only display it if you have the cookie set
      www.simonstaton.co.uk

Comment

Cookies seems like the way to do it. You could have a menu bar called "My Saved Pages" wrapped in a <div style="display:none;"> that gets changed to visible when a 'saved web page' cookie exists. Then just use document.write to put the link under that header.
        Actinic has some cookie-handling functions in its default javascript files (used for the 'basket contents' display, etc.).

Edit: Ha-ha - a bit like that, in fact
        ActiveStock
        On-line, real-time stock control plug-in for Actinic V7, V8 and V9
        **New - Captcha plug-in for your Contact Us form**

ActiveStock website
        Free 30 Day Trial
        ActiveStock Blog (including a new tutorial on a 'Sort By' function for long section pages)

Comment

using a div is a very good idea, at the moment I am setting the cookie so that it saves the current page settings using

<!--
          document.write('<A HREF="' + location.href +'">');
          document.write('Bookmarked Page');
          document.write('</A>');
          // -->

but instead of linking to the current page It will save the current page and instead of having '<A HREF="' + location.href +'">' it will have '<A HREF="'+[SavedPage]'">'
          www.simonstaton.co.uk

Comment

if anyone knows any way I could set the cookies I would appriciate it, so far I am just editting this password protect script I made

<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript">
            function createCookie(name,value,days) {
            if (days) {
            var date = new Date();
            date.setTime(date.getTime()+(days*24*60*60*1000));
            var expires = "; expires="+date.toGMTString();
            }
            else var expires = "";
            document.cookie = name+"="+value+expires+"; path=/";
            }
            function readCookie(name) {
            var nameEQ = name + "=";
            var ca = document.cookie.split(';');
            for(var i=0;i < ca.length;i++) {
            var c = ca[i];
            while (c.charAt(0)==' ') c = c.substring(1,c.length);
            if (c.indexOf(nameEQ) == 0) return c.substring(nameEQ.length,c.length);
            }
            return null;
            }
            function eraseCookie(name) {
            createCookie(name,"",-1);
            }
            var password;
            var pass1="cool";
            if(readCookie('pass58') !== 'donepass')
            {
            password=prompt('Please enter your password to view this page!',' ');
            if (password==pass1)
            alert('Password Correct! Click OK to enter!');
            else
            {
            window.location="http://www.actinictesting.co.uk/incorrect.html";
            Delete_Cookie('pass58', '/', '');
            }
            createCookie('pass58','donepass',7)
            }
            </script>
            www.simonstaton.co.uk

Comment

I think this one might of beaten me, does actinic have a friendly way to approach this by any chance? even if it isnt exactly what I am trying to do does actinic have a way of saving a product
              www.simonstaton.co.uk

Comment

Actinic saves the content of your cart as a cookie so, yes, it can 'save a product'. But surely you just want the current page URL? Are you going to have a 'Book mark This Page' button for each product page? The actiniccore.js and actinicextras.js files in your Site1 folder have got some cookie handling functions that may help you.
                ActiveStock
                On-line, real-time stock control plug-in for Actinic V7, V8 and V9
                **New - Captcha plug-in for your Contact Us form**

ActiveStock website
                Free 30 Day Trial
                ActiveStock Blog (including a new tutorial on a 'Sort By' function for long section pages)

Comment

Originally posted by rmorrow View Post
                  Actinic saves the content of your cart as a cookie so, yes, it can 'save a product'. But surely you just want the current page URL? Are you going to have a 'Book mark This Page' button for each product page? The actiniccore.js and actinicextras.js files in your Site1 folder have got some cookie handling functions that may help you.
                  You'll never win as the cookies will expire, surely?

Comment

yeh my idea is that the products will have a save this product or bookmark this product tab but instead of bookmarking it to Internet Explorer or Firefox it will simply bookmark it to the websites menu
                    www.simonstaton.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by SpecTech View Post
                      yeh my idea is that the products will have a save this product or bookmark this product tab but instead of bookmarking it to Internet Explorer or Firefox it will simply bookmark it to the websites menu
                      This is only as permanent as the timeline between the user clearing their computers cache - the more permanent fix would be to use the standard 'add to bookmark' type feature (IE Favourites/FF Bookmarks)

Comment

I am trying to stay away from this simply because some people have a mass of bookmarks and it causes them to hunt for there product. I would prefer them to simply visit the site and them see the product they were looking at.
                        www.simonstaton.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by grantglendinnin View Post
                          You'll never win as the cookies will expire, surely?
                          they will expire however I am looking for somthing in the space of even 3 or 4 days as the arage customer will return to the site within a short ammount of time from first visiting it
                          www.simonstaton.co.uk

Comment

You could activate the visited style on any links visited, at least it leaves a trail of where they have been in the meantime while you work on this.

If you manage to crack this, which i doubt somewhat, have you thought about how you will relay what you are presenting to them clearly? Surely in a sidebar is not the place, i'd be wanting to see something top of the central area if to be of any use and clear what it is.

Comment

The Sidebar was just an example I am maybe going to add a page curl saying visit your saved page, or even a small tab at the top of the page saying visit saved product,

and I am also starting to doubt that I will crack this but if I do I will make sure to let the community know how it was done
                              www.simonstaton.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X