VAT mysterious error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT mysterious error

Hi, we have just had a customer point out a mysterious VAT error. I have tried to find any mention of this before but could not - if it is a known bug do let me know :-)

VAT is set up as 15%, and the shipping also applies VAT (at 15%) but this is included in the figure

Yet the VAT shown in the checkout is wrong or at least we can't make sense of it with a calculator.

In the cart is some sweets and the shipping can be Royal Mail or Parcel Force.

Obviously in this version of Actinic we still have the terrible ex vat line prices, so that already confuses customers - but if you take all the vat that is removed e.g £1.28 sweets is £1.11 ex VAT then the vat is 17p. So adding up the VAT does not give me the VAT that is itemised in the cart.

We have VAT on shipping but whether you calculate it as inclusive or exclusive of VAT it does not hit the VAT figure itemised in the cart.

The only way I can get close is if in a spreadsheet I set the VAT to 17.5%... which is despite the fact that I have 15% in the Tax module.

You can replicate this by adding the following items at www.veggiestuff.com
    HAR4373 x 1 (VAT normal)
    HAR9720 x 1 (VAT normal)
    BIO400 x1 (VAT normal)
    HUM020 x 1 (VAT 0%)

Subtotal £4.66
    Shipping (Parcel Force Mainland & IoW) £5.60 (VAT normal)
    VAT £1.25
    Total £11.51

£1.25 VAT is wrong. The VAT @ 15% on the products is:
    0.75 (if the 5.60 is inclusive)
    making it £1.16

VAT in V8 wasn't great, the rounding rules on the tax tab helped some of these problems, but until you are on V9, you will not see sensible vat calculations. It's to do with whether items are calculated as singular items or as one total price.

VAT is not included in the shipping figure, it adds that on as standard to what you put in the matrix.

Comment

Real world vs Actnic World

Thanks Lee, was just going over all the figures again for a third and final time and could see the VAT not in the shipping just as you say - I have another v9 site in dev so that is set up differently...

It is another example of an Actinic idea confounding Joe Schmoe who just wants to go shopping - imagine having to do this in Adsa! This cart is a mess and I'm sure it is deterring sales but the upgrade to v9 will be a big job with all prices rentered and any design work repaired after the automatic 'upgrade'. No point complaining though I know :-)

Comment

If you calculate each item individually and also as a whole, this will show up the discrepancy you talk about and also remember to factor in vat on the shipping costs which you have to do by law. Don't forget also that if a product has a lesser vat rate, then the shipping is pro rata for it.

Can open, worms everywhere.......

Comment

Working...
        X