SetupInfo Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SetupInfo Table

SetupInfo Table > nID96 Campaign String?

What does the string in sData relate to?

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

All my V9 mdb's say "Covermount PCW Free25 03-05". Looks like a relic from the 25 product limit free version given away on magazines (the now defunct Personal Computer World in this case). Interestingly, the date (03-05) precedes V9, so it must have been carried over from V8.

UPDATE: I located a V8 25 product limit freeby mdb and it says ".Net v804 Cat 25 0207".
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Mine shows "Covermount - International Developer" .. but have never installed the limited 25 over the years and certainly not on this machine which is 6 months old.

Bikster

Comment

Here's a weird thing. On my system, in C:\Program Files\Actinic v9\Original\ActinicCatalog.mdb, that field is empty.

If I license a new site but don't open it, the field is empty. If I open the new site the field stays empty. Only after uploading for the first time does it get populated.

So where's it coming from? A peek into the Registry shows a key called "Campaign text" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Actinic\Catalog9, containing my "Covermount PCW Free25 03-05".

That key may have been set when a Snapshot from a V8 or V9 promotional site was loaded and is being used forevermore.

Probably sent to Actinic on initial site upload as part of the licensing check string.

Comment

It is initialised from the vendor.ini file on installation, which is used by resellers to brand Actinic when they supply it to their customers. It's used during the application registration process.

Regards,
          Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
          Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
          A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
          Product Mash for Sellerdeck
          Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
          Multichannel order processing
          Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

No mention of it in my vendor.ini file. I bet it's not in Jont's either.

My idea that it can get set in the Registry via installing someone else's snapshot still looks likely.

UPDATE: The string's empty on some of my older sites, even though they've uploaded and thus been through the registration check. Makes my last para even more likely.

Comment

That's right, once campaign text has been found, it will be stored in the registry and then used for all new sites on that machine.

If you put a non-blank entry into your vendor.ini then this will be used instead and so will protect you from 'inheriting' other people campaign strings if you import their snapshots.

From looking at the two entries it looks like a method of tracking how many people install the application after a marketing promotion.

Why where you asking Jont?

Regards,
              Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
              Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
              A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
              Product Mash for Sellerdeck
              Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
              Multichannel order processing
              Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

There is no mention in my vendor.ini file either.

I was just curious about the string - I was in the table looking for something else and spotted the entry which did not bear any significance to my installation or system.

Bikster

Comment

Working...
                X