Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15 seconds to switch content/designer tabs windows 7

Hello Everyone

When running Actinic V9 in XP switching from design to content tabs was instant. On a new PC with Windows 7 and a new clean install of v905JHZA it takes 15 seconds to change fromcontent to design and vice versa. That can add up to a big chink of a working day.

I have looked at Sticky: Tips and Tricks for Performance in Actinic v9 and done what was suggested to improve performance in design and content but to no avail.

It has happened in all sites. I have compressed database, switched off check for nests etc etc.

All thoughts gratefully received, thanks, Jonathan.
    Jonathan Chappell
    Website Designer
    SellerDeck Website Designer
    Actinic to SellerDeck upgrades
    Graphicz Limited - www.graphicz.co.uk

On a new PC with Windows 7 and a new clean install of v905JHZA it takes 15 seconds to change fromcontent to design and vice versa
    Hi Jonathan,

What is your website URL? I would like to check the site for any code which could be causing this slow performance.

Paul
    Paul Murphy
    Operations Manager - SellerDeck

Comment

Hi Paul (pm support, not pfb5)
      I run designer and have a number of sites including the default site that comes out of the box when Actiniic is first installed. ALL were fine in XP ALL are very slow in Windows 7. Did you really want to check the code of all my sites including your own default one? I could send you a load of snapshots via mailbigfile if you wish?
      I have in the past encountered slow loading in a client's Vista machine which was down to the addthis widget. This is not the reason here as the widget is absent from the sites in question.
      If I am the only person with this problem I will go away and stop being a nuisance!
      Jonathan Chappell
      Website Designer

Comment

Hi Jonathan,

I wish to take a look at one snapshot only, preferably the worst performing site. We can then see if the same slow performance can be recreated on our PC's.

Paul
        Paul Murphy

Comment

Thanks Paul

I have emailed you site1 snapshot, pretty well the generic site.

Thinking it might be a windows 7 display issue I switched to code only view in design and switched off preview in content and the delay switching between the two was the same.

Remember all my sites functioned fine in XP.

Cheers

Jonathan
          Jonathan Chappell
          Website Designer

Comment

PS I have Kaspersky 9.0.0.736. Any evidence this might contribute to the problem?
            Jonathan Chappell
            Website Designer

Comment

Mea Culpa: I have just tried my backup PC which has XP and it too now has the lengthy delay between content and design. This is all looking like it is down to Kaspersky 9.0.0.736 as I did this update when I bought the new PC. Any one have similar experience?
              Jonathan Chappell
              Website Designer

Comment

Just switched Kaspersky off on both machines (w7 and xp) and it made no difference to the slow response in Actinic.
                Jonathan Chappell
                Website Designer

Comment

I assume you have no external images, widgets, etc referenced in the design? Things like 'share this' are known to cause huge delays and there have been cases where one weeks it's all Ok and the next there are horrible delays.

Mike
                  -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by graphicz View Post
                    I have in the past encountered slow loading in a client's Vista machine which was down to the addthis widget. This is not the reason here as the widget is absent from the sites in question.
                    Thanks Mike - Already thought of that, but it is a good thought. The later addthis seems a bit better but that is not the issue here.e
                    Jonathan Chappell
                    Website Designer

Comment

Originally posted by graphicz View Post
                      my backup PC which has XP and it too now has the lengthy delay between content and design...
                      This tells me that it must be something specific to your installations. It could still be Kaspersky, even though you have disabled it it may still be causing some delays. Is this Kapspersky Internet Suite or just the AV protection?

Perhaps you could try disabling K and then rebooting and seeing if it's any different.

A few more questions...
                      Is Kaspersky then only thing you updated/installed on the XP machine after getting your new one?
                      Are you running any other firewall?
                      What version of IE are you using on the XP machine?
                      Is the delay still the same if you switch off the preview pane?

Comment

Hi Jonathan,

What is your website URL? I would like to see if you have the "addthis" code on the site. It is starting to sound like the classic symptoms of having addthis code.

This fix is here:

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=45299

I also agree with Duncan, it might be an installation issue.

Paul
                        Last edited by KB2; 22-Mar-2010, 12:02 PM. Reason: Updating kb links
                        Paul Murphy

Comment

Thanks for the addthis link, was aware of addthis problems as I have said.

As I said to Paul in an email, the problem occurs with the generic site straight out of the box. It does not occur with just one site and all the sites behaved perfectly before.

There is a thread on the Kasperskty forum about 900736 slowing things down and the slowing getting worse as time passes. http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=142930

900736 upgrades to KIS 10. I have IE8 but Firefox is default.

As I have already said "Thinking it might be a windows 7 display issue I switched to code only view in design and switched off preview in content and the delay switching between the two was the same."
                          Jonathan Chappell
                          Website Designer

Comment

Firewall is KIS, Windows one is off. Windows defender built into 7 not installed on either XP machine
                            Jonathan Chappell
                            Website Designer

Comment

Hi Jonathan,

1) Have you tried switching "User account control" to "default"? This should be a setting in Control panel | Users.

Apparantly the user account control has changed in Windows 7, i'm not sure if it an issue or not.

2) It might be work reinstalling Actinic incase there is an installation issue. It would be good to tick that one off the list.
                              Paul Murphy

Comment

Working...
                              X