Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

emails not being sent

hi community

i'm having trouble getting my site to send emails, from both the contact us page and emails regarding new orders / receipt of order to customers.

my error log is showing

"Email receipt not sent to customer. Undefined store email address."

i have entered an appropriate email address within business settings / company / contact

the site is hosted by actinic on their servers. the email / domain settings are hosted by the clients it provider.

the smtp server is set to the address of the clients smtp server, no username or password required.

i have tried several settings for the smtp setup within the network settings. when i test from there the test email arrives fine.

does anyone have any ideas?

regards

jc

the site is hosted by actinic on their servers. the email / domain settings are hosted by the clients it provider.

the smtp server is set to the address of the clients smtp server, no username or password required.
    Most email servers block other web servers froms sending outgoing email to prevent use by spammers. In this case I suspect clients IT provider's smtp server is refusing to send the emails, particularly as no username or password is being used. The test emails are probably getting through OK as most SMTP servers will let you send email to yourself, whether authenticated or not.

You really need to use your web hosts smtp server to send the emails from actinic or use smtp authentication (i.e. a username and password) to send the emails via the IT provider.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

hi mike,

thanks for your reply.

as part of the testing i've been in contact with the clients IT people. they tell me no username and password are required, although we've also tried setting and using one as well.

also, the test email being sent by the actinic software is using the same settings? as in when i click on the test button within network settings the email arrives in the appropriate account the client has set up for this.

i'm not sure what you meant by "The test emails are probably getting through OK as most SMTP servers will let you send email to yourself"

does anyone have any other ideas?

many thanks

jc

Comment

I assume you are pointing the A records to actinic, but what are you doing with MX?

have you tried using localhost?

is the email addy in business settings on domain?

Comment

hi jo,

thanks for your reply.

i have tried localhost with no joy.

the email address in business settings was setup by the clients IT company (it's an address that means several people get the email, though i'm not sure whether its a group or forwarder etc).

tbh i''m not sure about the pointing of A and mx records, is there a way i can check?

thanks

jc

Comment

I've been down this road as well until I found the settings that worked for me.

See if this helps:

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=44233

Comment

i'm not sure what you meant by "The test emails are probably getting through OK as most SMTP servers will let you send email to yourself"
              When actinic sends a test email, it sends it to the address you've set up as the email address for the website. i.e. your sending a test email to your own email account, which most smtp servers will allow without authentication.

Mike

PS. Also get onto actinic support. The last case of this http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=43895 was down to something missing in the database. It could be the same problem.

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Working...
              X