Actinic Crashes after editing Layout Code V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actinic Crashes after editing Layout Code V8

Well this really takes the biscuit. Act 8 keeps crashing everytime I boot up

The problem occurred when I was adjusting the block price format in layout code. It was in the edit appearance pop up box and I changed type to 'price list' instead of 'standard' - as I am new to actinic was testing to see what would happen.

I have rung actinic support (which seemed to cost loads as my mob now out of cred) and they have asked me to send a zipped version of the problem site to them to sort out.

Has anyone experienced this? I backed up my site but it still crashes when I import it.

Hi Suze,

Try looking at this thread http://community.actinic.com/showthr...t=35253&page=1. Maybe this will help. I had to delete my ActinicCatalog.mdb and rename the backup. It then allowed me to restore from a snapshot OK.

Hope this helps,
    Lance

www.brightkidz.co.uk

"High visibility clothing and accessories for children and adults"

Comment

Susie I've changed the thread title to make it more relevant in searches. Have a look at the thread mentioned above.

If that doesn't help, come back here and let us know.

In the meantime, does it open at all? Could you roll back to a previous snapshot, or do you not get that far?

Many thanks,

Rich

Army Gore-tex
      Winter Climbing Mitts
      webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
      Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Hi there
        well chased up actinic again and the chap I spoke to didn't have a clue so he passed it on and said they would email me later today .....!

Thanks for the info I looked at the thread but didn't see anything really mirroring my problem - I have backed up the site once so no previous versions.

I can open act 8 but as soon as I click on anything it 'unexpectedly quits'

Is the actinic catalogue.mdb the one with the yellow key on it?

Do you mean delete the whole thing or just rename it? Or delete the catalog and rename the snapshot?

Please excuse my ignorance as I am a newbie

Comment

I didn't say delete anything LOL

Do you have microsoft Access?

You could open the actinic database in Access, compact and repair which may help.

Army Gore-tex
          Winter Climbing Mitts
          webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
          Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Hi,

Was referring to Lances post. I'm afraid no I don't have access. I have excel but I guess that doesn't help. No email from actinic and my boss wants my head on a stick....

Comment

Hi Suze,

I deleted the file ActinicCatalog.mdb and then renamed the backup file (I think it is called ActinicBackup.mdb but I'm at home now so not sure). Anyway I renamed it ActinicCatalog.mdb or whatever the file is called (again check the name).

My problem obviously involved some kind of corruption of the actinic catalogue and restoring the backup db fixed it. I had to do this as actinic kept crashing every time I went into it. I could't get far enough into the program to import a snapshot as it was keeling over every time I started it.

If your backup is corrupted maybe you can try using the sample db to get it up and running and then import your best snapshot.

Good luck!
              Lance

www.brightkidz.co.uk

"High visibility clothing and accessories for children and adults"

Comment

I might have missed it, but you are running the latest version of v8, that is, v8.5.3 ?

Did you consider uninstalling and reinstalling?
                Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

thanks lance - I tried just as you described but actinic wouldn't even open at all and error messages all over the shop so back to square one.

It appears to be a prob with the online catalogue - whenever I click on a section it crashes

'catalog.exe has encountered a problem and need to close, we are sorry for the inconvenience'

ARRRRRGH!!! Actinic gurus are still baffled as well. Why....why!

Comment

Let's go back a little way.

Did the site work at any point?

Do you have a snapshot from that time?

Going back to the point you were at before you tried Lance's solution, could you get into the design library and revert the offending layout back to factory settings?

Did you try uninstalling?

Can you access the Troubleshooting menu at all?
                    Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Hi,
                      Yes it was working fine till:

The problem occurred when I was adjusting the block price format in layout code. It was in the edit appearance pop up box and I changed type to 'price list' instead of 'standard' - as I am new to actinic was testing to see what would happen.

I cant access the design panel, it crashes straight away

I can access the troubleshooting menu

I haven't uninstalled - would this not delete my site files?

I have one site snapshot - I have lost a few changes as I didn't site snapshot reg enough - I have learnt my lesson here!

I am hoping the actinic development bods can help but any other help most appreciated....

Comment

If you have a working snapshot, then I would import that as a first move. Losing a few design changes here and there is minor compared to getting the software usable again.

Comment

Go back to the last working snapshot. You may need to uninstall/reinstall Actinic though.

Take a backup copy of your site1 folder prior to uninstalling.

Comment

Hi there

Thanks for all the tips - if you are interested here is what actinic say:

The fixed database is attached. You need to unzip the file into your Site1 folder and overwrite the existing database.

The layout 'Product Price Including Tax' had an extra type="PriceList" attribute in its php block, causing the crash.

About to try and sort this now, fingers crashed. PHP is a mystery to me anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                              as I am new to actinic was testing to see what would happen.

and now you know!
                              Tracey

Comment

Working...
                              X